Central Virginia Aquarium Community

CVAC is a social network and Community resource for the aquarium hobby in Central Virginia!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to CVAC - the Central Virginia Aquarium Community! ... ThumbsUp ... Like us on ! ... great ... Visit the CVAC home page for News, Community Events, Quick Links, and Photos. ... swimmy

75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 am

this is an update on my 75gal ecosystem project. the tank has been up for about a month now. i had really bad cyano at first, but it is all dead now, giving way to lots of GSA. hopefully it will whittle down without disappearing entirely, as it is renewable food for my omnivores/herbivores.

FLORA:

AQUATIC:
Moneywort, Java Fern, Water Wysteria, Giant Hygro, Corckscrew Val, Jungle Val, Java Moss, Hornwort, Anacharis, Swword (amazon?), Microsword, Tiger Lotus, Algae Balls, Apongeton, Water Lily, Aquatic Onion Grass...and 2 more species ive forgotten the names of.

BOG/FLOATING:
Arcorus, Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce

HOUSE PLANTS AS EMERGENTS:
Cataractarum Palm, Parlor Palm, Lucky Bamboo, Money Tree, Lavender, Sage, Cherry Tomato, Onion, and 4 or 5 plants that i cant identify.

FAUNA:
Blackworms, 1 Male Betta, 3 Female Bettas (bettas have fry), 1 Male Guppy, 2 Female Guppies, 1 Male Balck Molly, 2 Female Black Mollies, 1 Male Blue Platy, 2 Female Blue Platys, 1 Male Swordtail, 1 Female Swordtail, 4 Otocinculuses, 2 Rosy Red Minnows, 2 Ghost Shrimp, 12 Snails (apple, pond, and something else) and their excessive babies.

The next additions to the tank will be shrimp. I have ordered 8 Crystal Blue Shrimp, and i also would like cherry shrimp and bee shrimp. After the shrimp have reproduced a lot, and the plants have gotten very dense, I plan on adding a male and 2 female gouramis (not sure what kind yet. id like dwarf gouramis but i cant find females) and im saving the bottom of the tank for dwarf cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 am

Water Wysteria. And you can see the Tiger Lotus a little on the right, below the floating plant. It wasnt doing so well when i first put it in but now it is growing again Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 am

Moneywort
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 am

Java Fern that keeps falling off its perch. I plan on building up this side of the tank with a few more river rocks, in preparation for the cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 am

Corkscrew Val. I used this to make a "curtain" down the middle of the tank to keep more aggressive fish from "sight-chasing" less aggressive fish from all the way across the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 am

I dont know the identities of these plants. i think the one in the middle is from a bulb so im guessing apongeton. the two on the right are stalk-y and i keep thinking they are bog plants, but they only do well under the water and start to die every time i use them as emergents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 am

My only sprig of Microsword. i searched so long for carpeting plants and this is all ive found so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 am

Here you can see the roots of the Cataractarum Palm. It was very rootbound when i bought it and i think its root system is going to make a great place for fry and anything else that needs to escape the rest of the tank. see the new roots on the left side? they are white compared to the rest. this is how i tell whether a specific houseplant is going to thrive in the tank or not Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:14 am

Lucky Bamboo down the side (i got the two taller stalks from lowes for cheaper than i got the two smaller stalks from the LFS) Money Tree in the corner, and does anyone know what that plant is beside the Money Tree? It came in a terrarium with the Money Tree without a label...either way, all these plants are doing well and have sprouted new roots
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 am

i use these cups to grow houseplants, but they also double as breeding grounds for blackworms, so that the worms can breed safe from the fish, and when they become overcrowded, they begin to make their way out of the drainage holes at the bottoms of the cups and get eaten. this keeps them as a sustainable food source for my omnivores and carnivores, though getting the number of cups right is an ongoing process.

the plants in the cups are (left to right) cup 1: lavender sprout in topsoil. cup 2: unidentified plant that also came in terrarium with money tree (anyone know?) in topsoil. cup 3: sage sprout and cherry tomato sprout in aquarium gravel with a little bit of peat/sphagnum soil. cup 4: 2 unidentified plants that came with the money tree in peat/sphagnum soil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am

this is another cup that contains the Arcorus in a peat/sphagnum soil. This cup used to have Venus Flytraps, but to my surprise, they died. To the right is the Parlor Palm that doesnt seem to be doing well in the tank, but it is going to stay in until it lives or dies, because it attracts too many bugs for me to want elsewhere in the house.

The house plants tend to do better when grown emergent in the topsoil, whereas the worms tend to like the peat/sphagnum soil better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 am

Here are the two floating plants, the Water Hyacinth and the Water Lettuce. The Water Hyacinth diminished after i added topsoil to the substrate because it didnt like the free-floating soil clogging its roots, but since i have cleared away the unsettled soil, it has started growing new leaves and roots. The Water Lettuce is a new addition and looked like this when i got it. im hoping it will brighten up in its new home. we will see. you can also see the onion bulb growing below the cups there and an emergent piece of it flowering above the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am

Here is the Hornwort jungle that is stuffed behind and around the stalks of the Cataractarum Palm. It does well in the darker reaches of the tank and should also make good cover for fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 am

Here is a sprig of the Giant Hygro. Also, in the back of the tank, below the onion bulb, you can see the Jungle Val, which has recently sent runners.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 am

Your tank and plants look so natural. Great job
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide

75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Community ::  :: -
Webutation