Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:38 am

this is an update on my 75gal ecosystem project. the tank has been up for about a month now. i had really bad cyano at first, but it is all dead now, giving way to lots of GSA. hopefully it will whittle down without disappearing entirely, as it is renewable food for my omnivores/herbivores.

FLORA:

AQUATIC:
Moneywort, Java Fern, Water Wysteria, Giant Hygro, Corckscrew Val, Jungle Val, Java Moss, Hornwort, Anacharis, Swword (amazon?), Microsword, Tiger Lotus, Algae Balls, Apongeton, Water Lily, Aquatic Onion Grass...and 2 more species ive forgotten the names of.

BOG/FLOATING:
Arcorus, Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce

HOUSE PLANTS AS EMERGENTS:
Cataractarum Palm, Parlor Palm, Lucky Bamboo, Money Tree, Lavender, Sage, Cherry Tomato, Onion, and 4 or 5 plants that i cant identify.

FAUNA:
Blackworms, 1 Male Betta, 3 Female Bettas (bettas have fry), 1 Male Guppy, 2 Female Guppies, 1 Male Balck Molly, 2 Female Black Mollies, 1 Male Blue Platy, 2 Female Blue Platys, 1 Male Swordtail, 1 Female Swordtail, 4 Otocinculuses, 2 Rosy Red Minnows, 2 Ghost Shrimp, 12 Snails (apple, pond, and something else) and their excessive babies.

The next additions to the tank will be shrimp. I have ordered 8 Crystal Blue Shrimp, and i also would like cherry shrimp and bee shrimp. After the shrimp have reproduced a lot, and the plants have gotten very dense, I plan on adding a male and 2 female gouramis (not sure what kind yet. id like dwarf gouramis but i cant find females) and im saving the bottom of the tank for dwarf cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 am

Water Wysteria. And you can see the Tiger Lotus a little on the right, below the floating plant. It wasnt doing so well when i first put it in but now it is growing again Smile

ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 am

Moneywort
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 am

Java Fern that keeps falling off its perch. I plan on building up this side of the tank with a few more river rocks, in preparation for the cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 am

Corkscrew Val. I used this to make a "curtain" down the middle of the tank to keep more aggressive fish from "sight-chasing" less aggressive fish from all the way across the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 am

I dont know the identities of these plants. i think the one in the middle is from a bulb so im guessing apongeton. the two on the right are stalk-y and i keep thinking they are bog plants, but they only do well under the water and start to die every time i use them as emergents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 am

My only sprig of Microsword. i searched so long for carpeting plants and this is all ive found so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 am

Here you can see the roots of the Cataractarum Palm. It was very rootbound when i bought it and i think its root system is going to make a great place for fry and anything else that needs to escape the rest of the tank. see the new roots on the left side? they are white compared to the rest. this is how i tell whether a specific houseplant is going to thrive in the tank or not Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:14 am

Lucky Bamboo down the side (i got the two taller stalks from lowes for cheaper than i got the two smaller stalks from the LFS) Money Tree in the corner, and does anyone know what that plant is beside the Money Tree? It came in a terrarium with the Money Tree without a label...either way, all these plants are doing well and have sprouted new roots
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 am

i use these cups to grow houseplants, but they also double as breeding grounds for blackworms, so that the worms can breed safe from the fish, and when they become overcrowded, they begin to make their way out of the drainage holes at the bottoms of the cups and get eaten. this keeps them as a sustainable food source for my omnivores and carnivores, though getting the number of cups right is an ongoing process.

the plants in the cups are (left to right) cup 1: lavender sprout in topsoil. cup 2: unidentified plant that also came in terrarium with money tree (anyone know?) in topsoil. cup 3: sage sprout and cherry tomato sprout in aquarium gravel with a little bit of peat/sphagnum soil. cup 4: 2 unidentified plants that came with the money tree in peat/sphagnum soil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am

this is another cup that contains the Arcorus in a peat/sphagnum soil. This cup used to have Venus Flytraps, but to my surprise, they died. To the right is the Parlor Palm that doesnt seem to be doing well in the tank, but it is going to stay in until it lives or dies, because it attracts too many bugs for me to want elsewhere in the house.

The house plants tend to do better when grown emergent in the topsoil, whereas the worms tend to like the peat/sphagnum soil better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 am

Here are the two floating plants, the Water Hyacinth and the Water Lettuce. The Water Hyacinth diminished after i added topsoil to the substrate because it didnt like the free-floating soil clogging its roots, but since i have cleared away the unsettled soil, it has started growing new leaves and roots. The Water Lettuce is a new addition and looked like this when i got it. im hoping it will brighten up in its new home. we will see. you can also see the onion bulb growing below the cups there and an emergent piece of it flowering above the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am

Here is the Hornwort jungle that is stuffed behind and around the stalks of the Cataractarum Palm. It does well in the darker reaches of the tank and should also make good cover for fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 am

Here is a sprig of the Giant Hygro. Also, in the back of the tank, below the onion bulb, you can see the Jungle Val, which has recently sent runners.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 am

Your tank and plants look so natural. Great job
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 pm

thanks flippercon! ive been watching some of your videos and love the size of your tanks. i always salivate over the 125s - 180s that i see. a lot of my previous tanks have been cichlid tanks too, and they are still my favorite aquarium fish to watch. im planning on doing dwarf cichlids in this tank, but the only ones ive had exp with are the german and bolivian rams. what is your experience with those kribs? i can find them about as regularly as the rams but ive heard mixed things about them and their ability to be a community tank fish. how are they with each other in your large tank? how are they with other fish? any exp keeping them with non-cichlids? how do they do with live plants?

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:12 pm

They up root plants pretty regularly and are a decent community fish. They will not tolerate smaller schooling fish if breeding and full grown. They are very easy to breed but are diggers. All rocks and heavy objects in tank should be on the glass or eggcrate to prevent crushing. In the tank they are in now there is 3 pairs and and odd female. There is also 2 pairs of Keyholes and a pair of angels. All these fish spawn within days of each other but no spawn is successful unless removed.
Back to top Go down
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm

ouch! yeah ok scratch the kribs lol. the last thing i need is my plants uprooted. thanks for the heads up! have you ever kepy any other dwarf cichlids besides kribs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Thats it, for me. I have read apistos do great in planted tanks
Back to top Go down
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 pm

thanks! this is my first planted tank and im enjoying it far more than any other tank ive kept already!

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:33 am

Full tank view looks good! ThumbsUp

I'll just take a stab at ID.
pic #9: if you mean the plant to the immediate right of the money tree could it be an arrowhead leaf plant? It's hard to tell the exact leaf shape from the pic.
pic #10, cup 2: some kind of Bromelliad? or maybe Sansevieria?
pic #10, cup 4: looks like a tiny rubber tree plant.
Clearly I have no idea! *lol*

One question about the Otos - how are they doing without any current in the tank? Do you hand agitate the water at all?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:22 am

My stab at ID:
Cup #2 looks like Neoregelia sp, and in cup #4 I think it is a Hoya species, if the leaves are thick and leathery.

I love the natural look and the way you are encouraging an ecosystem. I'm very interested in seeing the progress and how the plants mature. ThumbsUp

View user profile
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 pm

those are some good guesses! youve at least given me some names to look up and check on Smile pic #9 does look like the picture of what i saw named an Arrowhead Vine. #10, cup 2 isnt a bromeliad...and i think sansevieria looks like what i call a sword plant...i have some of each. and the rubber tree plant looks really close. that could be it!

the otos, to date, are the only fish species to experience deaths in this aquarium. the 3 i got from the LFS died, and the 4 i got from petsmart lived. the 4 that lived are doing really well though. at first they all schooled together but now it seems that 2 of them have paired up and the other 2 hang out by themselves. ive also got tiny green eggs that were deposited onto the leaves of the giant hygro (but were subsequently knocked off by a passing fish). i dont know if they are oto eggs or minnow eggs, but everything else cept the bettas are livebearers so its likely one of the two. the otos that paired up seem to spend a lot of time on the glass whereas the other 2 singular otos split their time between the glass and the plants.

ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm

liz, the hoya is really pretty! ive never seen one before. but so far it doesnt look like its going to be such a hanging plant. now the neoregelia thing is super close and if it gets that flower like the pics i saw, i will be really happy and go buy another one for the house! what an awesome looking plant! i hope you are right about that one!!! Smile

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I have hoya at home and at work, and it makes a great hanging plant, but you've got a wee baby, if that's what it is. Hard to tell from here, though Laughing

You'll need bright light for about 6 hours a day to get the Neoregelia to flower, I believe, being a true tropical, but hopefully you'll accomplish it.

You may have mentioned it but where are you getting your slips of plants? I am a big-time house plant person so the combination of houseplants and aquariums is intriguing to me - I think Flip has some interesting things going on like that too with pothos.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity   Today at 2:40 am

Back to top Go down

75gal self-sustaining ecosystem project. no electricity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Planted Tank Adventures-