Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Near death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Near death   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:45 am

Just picked up a new German Red yesterday and when I got home he appeared dead in the bag. It looked as if he got caught in the fold of the bag and suffocated. I placed him in hosp tank to see if would revive, but no signs. I gently began moving him forward and back to try and get oxygen to his gills, and sure enough he began to wiggle a little. He was not able to swim though and just laid there on bottom. I ran him back and forth again and he showed a little more life signs. I then placed him in a large net and positioned under a trickle discharge from the filter to allow more oxygen flow to nurish him. This AM he was upright and showing signs of wanting out of net. I released him in tank and he appears to be making a recovery. A little sluggish but no longer laying on bottom and is swimming. Keeping fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:11 pm

that's awesome! i'm glad he's alright!, definitly hope he keeps improving
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Wow!!! Ron, that was some good and quick thinking on your part. ThumbsUp Good Save!!!!
I hope the fish continues to get better and stronger. Plz, keep us posted on his recovery....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Robby, still watching him closely. I hate watching any critter struggle. He's not what would call active yet, but at least he does not appear gasping, and is remaining vertical. He would not eat yet, but I did see him elliminate, so hopefully vitals are ok.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

@koolaid68 wrote:
Wow!!! Ron, that was some good and quick thinking on your part. ThumbsUp Good Save!!!!
I hope the fish continues to get better and stronger. Plz, keep us posted on his recovery....
Thanks koolaid, I will letyou know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 am

Well today is Day 2 and he's still alive. Not showing much activity yet. Still hiding behind a rock, and laying low to the bottom. Still can't coax him to eat. Tried a frozen food today and the 4 small fry (about 1" long) in tank thought they were in heaven. He possibly ate a piece but not sure. I did see him chase one of the fry around the tank once that I think got too close to him. Still keeping fingers crossed.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Fish CPR. I had a terrible experience the first time I was shipped fish. I got an order of 5 BGJD from New Jersey. I think It was February too.
I got the shipment and opened the box to find all fish on there sides and pail. One still had a little bit of color and very little gill movement. I opened the package and tossed the fish in the tank and she fell to the bottomon her side. I then scooped her up in a net and put her face first into the spray bar exactly how you explained. She then revived but was sluggish. I had the fish for months and sold it. I'm glad to hear you were able to perform a successful revive. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks Brian, I did see him venture out a couple times today so still have fingers crossed. I was just guessing and reaching for ideas what to do to help him. I think keeping the constant flow of water and oxygen to his face and gills was a long shot but it has worked for the shortwhile anyway. So far so good, but not wishing to jinx him.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:49 am

Day 3, and still seeing a little improvement. He actually came out of hiding for a feeding this AM. Took a couple small pellets and bolted back behind rocks again.. I think I will give him another couple days in the hosp tank to monitor then try ad release in the 90 with other peacocks his own size. I'm a little afraid they will bully and attack right now.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 am

Give him a few weeks Ron. It may be in your best interest. A new environment introduces stress. You want that fish to be in tip top condition when entering your display tank. Get him eating and begging for food before introduction to the main tank. You will have better odds of his survival this way.
Back to top Go down
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:57 pm

@Flippercon wrote:
Give him a few weeks Ron. It may be in your best interest. A new environment introduces stress. You want that fish to be in tip top condition when entering your display tank. Get him eating and begging for food before introduction to the main tank. You will have better odds of his survival this way.
Thanks Brian, I will do that. I especially don't want to loose him now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:40 am

Day 4 and he is looking better still. He's still hiding a lot behind a rock near the bottom but I do catch him out a little more each day. He did take some food again today so I'm beginning to not worry quite as much. I agree with Flippercon to leave him in the hospital tank a few weeks before moving to the 90. I will watch to see if he begins begging for food and eating more aggressively before moving.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:43 am

Sounds very promising Ron. Try to give it a lot of tank time, Wear bright colors and interact with the tank. Get it use to you and feed feed feed. Just make sure it is digesting its food and a few weeks will pass by before you know it.
Back to top Go down
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 am

@Flippercon wrote:
Give him a few weeks Ron. It may be in your best interest. A new environment introduces stress. You want that fish to be in tip top condition when entering your display tank. Get him eating and begging for food before introduction to the main tank. You will have better odds of his survival this way. ...
... Sounds very promising Ron. Try to give it a lot of tank time, Wear bright colors and interact with the tank. Get it use to you and feed feed feed. Just make sure it is digesting its food and a few weeks will pass by before you know it.
All very good information from Brian. I like the bit about wearing bright colors to acclimate the fish to a human presence. Very informative.
Very Happy

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Day 5. He's a different fish today. Actually swimming more and venturing out a bit. He's actually staying about mid tank when no one comes near. Still darts behind rock when I approach tank, but does not stay there as long. He appears to be coloring up some also. He did eat a little more but not begging or quite sure of himself yet. Each day shows more promise since the CPR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:13 pm

sounds like you will have him eating out of your hand by weeks end Very Happy
Keep up the good work and updates
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:33 pm

That's Great News Ron. I am glad to read that it is getting stronger each day. That is great!!!! And yes take the extra time to let the fish reach it's top condition. I had to do it one time myself when it came to a Blue Morii (Blue Dolphin) of mine. For some reason all the fish in the tank starting beating it up, it had no place to hide. The fish lost its color and everything. I scooped it out of the tank and kept in in my hospital tank for about a month. I added him back to the tank and he is still swimming around and holding his own in the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks Koolaid. Glad to hear your Blue Dolphin is doing well too.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Near death   Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Today is day 6 since nearly losing my German Red. He's quite active today and not darting quite as much when I approach the tank. Had quite a scare yesterday when I was checking the water to find ammonia and nitrites spiked so high I don't know how he and some of the fry were still alive. I performed a 50% water change and will watch so that does not happen again. Since this is only a 6 gallon tank I sometimes forget that water fluctuations can occur more quickly. Sure easier maintaining my 75 and 90. All fish seem to be doing okay today. Not sure yet what the fry are. These were some of the fry KGT gave away at the last meeting. I had received 6 and lost two so down to 4 quite healthy somethings, and they are growing quite quickly now. Anxcious to see what I have. I think KGT said they were either Sunshines or German Reds as he accidently mixed the fry when changing their tank.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Near death   

Back to top Go down

Near death

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-