Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Large Megalancistrus species.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Large Megalancistrus species.    Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Just FYI for the catfish fans out there.

This large pleco was seen by Flippercon at Animal Jungle a while back. At first glance it appears to be a large Pterygoplichthys, and looks like P. gibbiceps. However, from the photo, it could be one of the many large plecos that resemble this catfish.

Then a pic of the tag was posted, revealing it to be a Megalancistrus species, M. parananus as the tag says. The L-number on the tag is L-234, and here is where the confusion begins. The catfish assigned the number of L-234 is an unidentified Megalancistrus species, known as Megalancistrus sp. L-234.

Megalancistrus parananus is assigned L-number L-113. "Parananus" refers to the River Parana, btw, the stated area of collection. Some say the two fish are possibly the same fish for reasons having to do with the area(s) of collection.

From Flipp's description of the high dorsal, it seems pretty certain that this large pleco is in fact a Megalancistrus (which means "great big ancistrus" literally) but is it L-234 or L-113?

Not that many folks outside of the catfish world will care. *lol* Both catfish grow to mega-proportions of almost two feet long and both have a very high dorsal, as do the Pterygoplichthys species, as well. In fact, the fish in the photo above used to be assigned to Pterygoplichthys at one time but has since been reassigned.
Very Happy

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info Deb, i had no idea. i was just going by the tag. Shows how much the stores can tell you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Forgive me, does that tag say $2.59 with some extra zeros, or $259.oo!? I see 2 decimal points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes $259.00! Plecos can get really pricey.
Back to top Go down
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:56 am

@Flippercon wrote:
Yes $259.00! Plecos can get really pricey.

They sure can! There is a lot to consider when capturing and shipping a large and restless pleco and the prices reflect some of these costs. There are collection point fees, exporter fees, shipper fees, trans-shipper fees, holding fees, other transitional fees, and finally destination fees. And I'm sure I've left something out! *lol*

However, the LFS sticker price is gladly paid, especially in Japan and China where the prices are even higher, and more especially in Europe - where hobbyists tend to buy COLONIES, not one specimen, as is more common here and in Asia. Very Happy

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

well, after I came too, dusted myself off and climbed back on my chair I did have this thought. If you could get a pair to fall in love so to speak, and assuming they drop eggs like some of these cichlids and other fish I see, (I'm assuming they're egg layers) that would make for one nice payday! You know, wait for 4-5 generations, then your gen#1 will have some size and you can offer big guys and little. Of course if it was that easy someone probably would have already done it by now Smile Good looking pleco regardless
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:35 pm

@Nereus7 wrote:
well, after I came too, dusted myself off and climbed back on my chair...
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol!
I did the same thing when I looked up how much a L046 was Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Just for S&G's I looked them up, so far the best I've found is juvi's (1inchers) for $180 and adults (2 1/2inchers) for $250. affraid

Highest I've seen is $400. I saw some and said hi, but they wouldn't talk to me... haha get it? Rolling Eyes ... ya.... Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Hey flip I was doing some snooping and this came up. In theory (if this is actually what he bought) it only ran him $20. Unless you're on a "species specific" hunt, this could still make a nice addition and leave some lunch money in your pocket.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=473
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Cancel that, they seem to be more expensive. Very Happy

That said, what are the chances some of these pleco's slip through the cracks and people don't realize what they're selling? I'm thinking dude may have gotten the bargin of a lifetime now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large Megalancistrus species.    

Back to top Go down

Large Megalancistrus species.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-