Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi all, long time no see!! I thought it was high time I posted in leiu of my beautiful new catfish, Sunny.
Brian finally broke down and let me get my all time favorite, a larger species catfish. I have had quite a time finding any information on them, as most people keep red tails or synodontis it would seem.

If anyone has any info or experience with them please let me know. Hes currently cozied up inside a piece of pvc in a 55g by himself and is eating blackworms and these little bottom feeder wafers.

Thanks, pics to come:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 am

Don't know a thing about 'em but the big eye tells me it prefers the dark or a dim tank and the mouth tells me it's a predator so I guess it will have its own tank?
Keep us posted on this one, Jen. It sounds like a very cool cat and an unusual project. Hope to see pix soon.
Very Happy

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Got some pics of him while I was doing a water change. They are incredibly hard to photograph since they don't sit still long at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Apparently they have a voracious appetite but I have yet to see him eat. The stuff I put in there disappears and he looks pretty plump, but I have a couple angelfish in with him so I worry he doesn't eat. He's extremely shy, I've seen videos where they will come to the top of the water and eat while people video them. I hope this doesn't go the way of Chubbs, however I only paid 7 bucks for this one haha. Still, I'd rather not lose him, he's a beautiful fish.

bigvince
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 am

Where did you get it?

the fish looks nice

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKBax29UJwqyzr6VNGVbBA?feature=
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 am

Animal jungle:) someone had just brought it in, the girl sold it to me cheap.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:10 am

This cat is pretty neat but I rarely see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:19 am

which girl??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Lol I don't know if I should say I dont wanna get her in trouble! Shes my favorite one there, and out of allllll of them, the least judgemental and the most knowledgeable.

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm

gotta be either holly or heidi, or kathy haha Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:30 am

Who knows, I will never tell:)

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 am

There are some shovelnose red tail mixes there I want soooooo baaaad. Got nowhere to put them though

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 am

@jenbubs wrote:
There are some shovelnose red tail mixes there I want soooooo baaaad. Got nowhere to put them though

Wonder what sort of mix this could be - they would have to cross not only species, but genus, and family as well. Seems unlikely. If you get over there again please see if they have any details posted as to actual genus and species of this cross.

Will not give my opinion of hybrid catfish here. *lol* Laughing

Jen, I like your suncat very much. He's a very attractive fish and can possibly be a good pet once he comes out a bit more. How big is he now? Have you fed him any fresh fish or shrimp? it might be nice once in a while as a treat.
Very Happy

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:46 pm

TSN x RTC hybrids have been around for awhile. From what I understand they were first bred in fish farms in south america as a food source. Then they made a splash into the aquarium hobby and they grow extremely fast. I can post some links later if you want but I found a ton of info on google about them. I have a friend that has a small one and its next step will probably be my 180. From there I either need somebody with a monster tank or I need to build an indoor pond.

Last edited by Ben on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:06 am

Thanks, Ben. I get it now. Actually I was thinking of the Asian red tailed catfish when I said they would have to cross family lines, so that's where I went wrong.
Very Happy

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 pm

i have seen those rtc X tsn and they look sweet...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat   

Back to top Go down

my new horabagrus brachysoma...aka Asian Sun Cat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: African and Asian Catfish-