Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

does anyone on here keep lineolata sewelia [Sewellia lineolata - mod ed.]? we have some in stock and i was thinking about picking one up but would like to see how good of a job they do cleaning the tank or how hardy they are from personal experience... i'd also love to see pics of where you keep yours!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:37 pm

hre's what they look like.

they are actually a type of loach but look more like a stingray crossed to a pleco Smile quite fascinating little guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Never heard or have seen these. Pretty cool. Does not sound like to adaptyed for a African Tank. May work with some of the Community Tanks out there as require lower PH but looks like need a lot of water movement. Here's a pretty interesting article on them.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sewellia-lineolata

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I used to keep hillstream loaches in a river setup I had. I don't consider them as a "tank cleaner" but mine ate some algae but I mostly fed pellets and wafers to them. I passed 1 or 2 along to Brian but I don't know if he still has any. I also am not sure if what you listed is the exact same version I had but I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm

I've always wanted to try these guys. They're so alien. From what I gather they're a cold water fish. I'm not too sure about cleaning algae, they probably don't do as good as plecos do. And like Ron said, they need/love lots of current. If I'm not mistaken I think I've read they're kind of on the fragile side, and should only be put in well established tanks. They'd probably make a good target for being picked on so you'll have to be careful about tankmates.

If you have time, get on youtube and check out the videos of them dancing back and forth with each other. They're pretty cool. - N
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:40 am

@Nereus7 wrote:
. They're so alien. From what I gather they're a cold water fish. I'm not too sure about cleaning algae, they probably don't do as good as plecos do. And like Ron said, they need/love lots of current. If I'm not mistaken I think I've read they're kind of on the fragile side, and should only be put in well established tanks. They'd probably make a good target for being picked on so you'll have to be careful about tank mates. - N
Spot on Nereus7
I did have these guys a few times. They seem to like cooler temperatures then what I can keep my tanks at. Also my cichlids think they are snacks. Do not put these in with larger fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:18 pm

thanks guys, and no i was going to put one or two n my divided fry tank. the fish in there only get up to an inch before they're moved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Its been forever since I've seen hillstream loaches offered!

As above they do like current, and that is indicated by their shape and their pleco-like sucker type mouth, better to flatten against the rocks and hang on.

Deborah knows WAY more about these than I! Laughing

View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:43 pm

they are neat little guys, i just might get one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amp2020
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Anyone recently keep these? I just got a couple back in January and they seem to be doing well. They actually avoid the high flow areas and like to stay on the back of the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions of appropriate tank mates? I currently have two flying fox, two glofish tetras, and a forest of plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 am

I have a couple, one of which was born in the tank. Mine live with tetras, rasboras, other small community fish. S. lineolata seems to tolerate more heat and low current better than the other hillstream loaches. The tank where they bred just has two small air-powered box filters; hardly any current near the substrate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Good information. Amp, if you have a source for those Sewellia could you mention it here? Animal Jungle had this particular species for a long while; if they still have them when our group makes the trip in May, I'll be coming home with a few.

direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 pm

I have three sewellia now and am about to pick up 3 more tomorrow. Skoolz of fish in richmond has them now and can order them in. They prefer water around 65 or so but mine are doing fine at 72 and love strong current, I have 2 canister filters and a HOB that move around 6-700 gph all together. The reason they should go into an established tank is they eat algae and brown diatoms that grow on the rocks and glass of the tank, no existing food growing and they might not recognize the pellet food in time, after all they are almost all wild caught. All three of mine stay directly in front of the outflow of my canister filter that I have routed into and around granite pieces that have plenty of growth on them. I have even heard of people leaving rocks in a bucket outside in the sun to grow algae then just switch the old rocks out of the tank into the bucket and the fresh algae covered rocks into the tank so there is always enough food for them. I also keep shrimp so my water has to stay clean, just as well the sewellia are from mountain streams (hence hillstream loach) where the water is super clean. If you can't set up a river tank for them PLEASE put a rock or other hard decoration under the filter outflow so they feel more at home and can hang out in the current.
They may do ok in higher temps and lower current but if you are going to get them I feel like it is a responsibility to give them as accurate a reproduction of there natural environment as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:57 am

More good information. Very Happy
Direwolf, do you know the exact species of Sewellia that Skoolz is selling?

direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:21 pm

I do believe they were sewelia sp? spotted not reticulated, when I was there on saturday he had maybe 6 or 7 for I think $10 a piece but I could be mistaken on the price. Rama (owner Skoolz) said he would get the sewellia lineolata reticulated in a few weeks for me so I can try to build up a breeding population. I am by no means an expert on individual species but rather try to concentrate on what would give that type of fish a realistic, as natural as possible environment.
If anyone has had luck breeding these guys please get in touch, I'm dying to find fry one day and any details would be much appreciated!!
I re-read some posts and as far as tank mates mine are in a 55 with 6 red tetras, 7 black skirt tetras, 2 gouramis, 4 angels, 8 otto cats, 2 zipper loaches, 4 clown loaches and three hatchets. The angels showed interest at first but almost instantly lost interest.
A lot of fish I know but hugely over-filtered and 2- 25% water changes a week keeps it clean and healthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

They spawn in gravel and do not guard their eggs, so you wont get any fry in that community. When mine had fry, the only other fish present were some small surface-feeding minnows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
direwolf82
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm

OK, I guess I'll be setting up my bow front after I can get a couple of males and some more female sewllia. I was hoping with extra caves around a few good handfulls of larger pebbles that might give them enough places to hide as I am planning on moving in the next six months and setting up another tank now was not high on my list of things to do before I have to break it all down and head back north.
Do you have any specifics on water quality at the time of breeding? I assume your numbers were at or near zero for the usual suspects (ammonia nitrite nitrate) how about temp? My tank is running around 74F, I do believe they would like a little colder but will the extra temp negatively affect the spawning?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 am

Their tank is chock full of plants (mosses, crypts, frogbit, j-fern) and fish load is low, so presumably all forms of Nitrogen are near zero - I rarely measure them in tanks with dense plants. No heater in that tank, so it varies from mid-60s in cold weather to low 80s in hot weather. I dont recall what season breeding occurred - I didnt even know they had until I saw a few 1/2" babies. My water is soft (2 dGH) but moderate hardness is OK too. But don't let it get too acidic (pH below 5.8.) I dont think caves or larger pebbles will protect Sewellia fry from your other loaches or angelfish.

Last edited by gerald on Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonnydinh
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 pm

If you can visit Vietnam, Contact with me, i will show you where they live and how to take them  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Wow THAT would be cool, Jonny!  If you have any interesting observations about their habitat or how they live in nature, please do tell us.  And if you ever get a chance to come to Virginia or North Carolina, we can take you to catch Etheostoma, Percina, Elassoma, Cyprinella, Nocomis, and other interesting American fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:17 am

@gerald wrote:
I have a couple, one of which was born in the tank.  Mine live with tetras, rasboras, other small community fish.  S. lineolata seems to tolerate more heat and lower current better than the other hillstream loaches.   The tank where they bred just has two small air-powered box filters; hardly any current near the substrate.

I have seen these fish several times. They are gorgeous. I would love to add them to my tanks. I'm especially interested in S. lineolata since they tolerate more heat and lower current better than the other hillstream loaches. The strong water current and low temperature requirements were a deterrent for me and the only reason I have not tried them before... shrug

Where can I find this fish locally? I'm ready to buy... imthere

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:09 pm

My wife goes to VN a lot. Not sure how to smuggle any fish back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:03 pm

@Fward wrote:
My wife goes to VN a lot. Not sure how to smuggle any fish back.

Shucks... good one!

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:17 pm

"Batfish" Josh Wiegert in Maryland gets them fairly often.  Mine came from Mark Denaro, who sold his online fish business to Josh a couple years ago. (Hmmm... maybe I should try to get mine breeding again).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

@gerald wrote:
"Batfish" Josh Wiegert in Maryland gets them fairly often.  Mine came from Mark Denaro, who sold his online fish business to Josh a couple years ago.  (Hmmm... maybe I should try to get mine breeding again).

Yep, it would be wonderful to purchase some bred in our local water... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach   

Back to top Go down

Sewellia lineolata - hillstream loach

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Loaches-