Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 am

Panaque maccus are my favorite catfish. They are also known as clown plecos - in fact, the word "maccus" means clown. Here are some shots of the ones I keep in a 75 gallon.

Here's one!

For some reason, the sand is showing up yellow but in reality it's a light brown.

Here are two more.

One is hiding on top of the wood on the left.

The decor of the tank is wood from one end to the other so that each pleco can have their choice. Very Happy

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 am

This character wedged himself into a crevice to avoid me.

These three wanted to hide so bad!

Note the long tail extensions on the one at the top of the photo. Very Happy

Here is the tank I keep them in.

koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:52 am

That is a real nice looking tank Deb. I really like it.. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 am

Very nice pics! I'm glad to really get a look at these fish - I typically miss them when I see your tank since they are so secretive.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am

Beautiful setup. I notice you have no background. Nice clean look. Where are the wires?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 am

Deb don't need no stinkin' wires lol!

View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

I could explain where the wires are but Ill leave it up to Deb. This is a really great tank and you get a better perspective in person. The clown plecos seem to be in heaven with all that wood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks, All! Very Happy You're very kind!

The tank has been set up going on three and a half years and I'm constantly adding wood or rearranging the decor to get it just right for the current number of wood-eaters. Wink They are a bit territorial with each other which is normal.

The background is all the decor from dried palm, oak, and magnolia leaves. Some have fallen off so I need to fix them back up but usually they make a very good screen.

The window blind is natural wood slats so that acts as a screen, too. No lights on the tank, just sunlight from the windows and skylights. Makes a nice light-and-shadow effect over the course of the day. Very Happy

On the left you see the heater and the HOB. The wires from these two are held off to the side and fixed on the back glass of the tank with one of those tiny suction cup hooks that you can get from Ben Franklin.

The HOB works fine but with these plecos the "blue pads" need to be rinsed OFTEN.
Very Happy

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 pm

nice! is it just me or do most tanks look bigger in photo's??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 am

Robby wrote:
nice! is it just me or do most tanks look bigger in photo's??

No, you could be right. In the photo above, I backed up until the entire image was in camera view. Later, I cropped it so only the black frame showed, giving it this elongated appearance.
Very Happy

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

alright, phew! it looked like a huge tank from the photo. its a nice one, either way Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).   

Back to top Go down

My wood-eating plecos (Panaque maccus).

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-