Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Figure-8 Puffer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:01 am

Here's a video of Otis having himself a snack. I've had him about 4 years and he resides in a 20-long brackish setup by himself. He is THE MAN (though I do suspect it is a female specimen...... Embarassed )

This is a feisty little thing and you WILL get bitten if you put your fingers in the tank - he'll attack anything you put in the water. He has an actual beak, rather than individual teeth, so he definitely breaks the skin. When I clean it or rearrange the rocks I have to just plunge my hand in and start my work right away, so he knows I'm doing maintenance, and then he keeps to the other side of the tank.

He eats mostly snails but since I have trouble keeping enough snails going to supply his requirements I also feed thawed frozen tiny shrimp or krill. He'll eat freeze-dried food but would rather not. Live is best in his book! If you come to the meeting on 9/16 you'll meet him, but I require a snail cover charge - you'll need non MTS snails to get in the door! (Just kidding! not)

View user profile
bigvince
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

awesome lookin fish

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoKBax29UJwqyzr6VNGVbBA?feature=
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 am

Haha, you got me. +10 on the music choice, right up my alley but I had my speakers ALL the way up from earlier and forgot to turn them down and just had my adrenaline gland jump out, run around the room swinging a white t-shirt yelling something and jump back in!... I love my adrenaline gland.

Awesome puffer. I've always wanted one and can kill 10-15 minutes easy playing around with them anytime I see them at the fish shop. I put them into the category of fish where it's a shame you can't let them out of the tank and turn them loose for a while to play around.

A tech question : When you do brackish do you basiclly up the level of aquarium salt and keep everything else the same or is there more to it? How much salt do you throw in to keep him happy? - N

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

This fish is worth coming to the meeting for haha. I personally can't wait to see Otis again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 pm

LOL! I wanted the music to reflect his kick-a** nature Laughing

@Nereus7 wrote:

A tech question : When you do brackish do you basically up the level of aquarium salt and keep everything else the same or is there more to it? How much salt do you throw in to keep him happy? - N

I keep this tank at 1.010 to 1.015 specific gravity, so for me this is most easily accomplished by mixing up pure marine SW mix, which I keep in a 5-gal water jug on standby, and use a "dose" of that with tap water during water changes. Evaporation concentrates the salt in the tank, so the amount of marine strength SW I use varies, but I keep a SG gauge in the tank at all times to keep tabs on it. Fortunately, F8 puffers are relatively hardy and in the wild they'd experience fluctuations in salinity, so a dip up or down either way doesn't bother him.

Other than the use of marine mix I don't do anything different for this tank. I don't use plain aquarium salt because it lacks minerals and trace elements found in brackish water, so it is more than just the salinity, and I can get what I need from marine mix.

That said, lots of people keep F8's in pure FW and apparently don't have problems, but I'm positive they need brackish and am hoping he'll live a long and feisty life!

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

That was great video and the music was so good! It seemed to jive with his snail-eating. Good choice! cheers

Keeping the water brackish with the marine mix has really worked out for Otis. He's fat - in a healthy way! - and sassy and a great pet fish. I remember the day you got him!

Btw I have too many ramshorn snails now so I'm separating the extras into a fishbowl and raising them for Otis.
Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Figure-8 Puffer   

Back to top Go down

Figure-8 Puffer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-