Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,
I'm fairly new to posting on any sort of forum, so please bear with me. I have enjoyed reading what other people have posted about their fish. I need help with an overgrown fish in my home aquarium. He is an irridescent shark about 2 feet long in a 125 gallon tank (the pet store told me his maximum size would be 12 inches--I no longer believe what pet stores tell you). I have tried finding him a new home, but have not had much luck and I’m not sure he would survive much of a move. Besides, I’ve had him for about 14 years so he’s part of the family. I don’t have room for a bigger tank in my house, so I’m thinking of getting a nice shed for the backyard that I can heat and cool and putting a “pond” of some sort in it for him. Am I crazy? Anyway, I have seen a portable koi tank online and am thinking that may be my best and least expensive option. It’s called something like dream pond koi show tank and is basically a pvc liner supported by pvc pipe. I’m thinking of getting the 6 foot diameter one which would hold about 425 gallons of water. Do you have any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:44 pm

how much was he? im sure animal jungle would take him in if you cant find a place to keep him. i'll ask tomorrow for you Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:57 pm

As long as you can keep the water in the 70's year-round and he will have shade it might work. They are river species and need lots and lots of filtration to remain healthy. Also consider that he might, in fact, get even bigger in a bigger tank.

Look into pond filtration, like if you were going to build a big koi pond.

Would you consider rehoming him if AJ can take him?

Also contact public aquariums or nature centers that have aquarium displays.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a cool fish. I am sure there are people that could house this one but finding that person may be harder then taking it to a LFS. Animal Jungle should take him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Skoolzoffish may have room to take him. Its worth a shot if you can't house it any longer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Where are you located, gab?

View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

can you post pics of him? i've seen the small irridescents that we sell but have yet to see a large one. i love them though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:37 pm

animal jungle will take him. i asked. apperanly we already have some that big and he should fit right in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 am

Hi all
Thanks for all the responses about my fish. Sorry it took me a while to get back-I work 12 hour shifts on Fridays and Saturdays. I live in Gloucester,VA and I went to Animal Jungle a year or so ago ( --I love that place and visit when I can) -and talked to "Bob" there who said he could take him. I thought about it, but decided the fish wouldn't be happy there. Yes, he would have more room, but he is so skittish, I don't think he would make it. He freaks out when the little cory cats in the tank with him touch him. I know I'm crazy, but I really would like to be able to keep him. I'm going to really look into some sort of pond that I can put in a shed to keep the temperature fairly constant. I'll try to figure out how to send pictures when I get a chance. Keep any other ideas coming. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 pm

IF you do decide to bring him in, bring him when i'm working so i can make sure he gets acclimated well and taken well care of... i know there are plenty of other big fish in there that he should fit in fine with. come in on saturday around 11 if you can...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 am

I'm still truly considering keeping my giant fish if I can do it. I think I may make a road trip to Animal Jungle on Thursday to see the pond section. Robby, does Animal Jungle have a nice pond section with someone who could help me figure out the best type of pond for me and tips on filters? I am definitely going to explore all my options before making a final decision. I still am concerned if I decide to rehome him, he wouldn't survive a very long trip--how do you transport a two foot long terribly skittish fish. I'll keep you posted on my findings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: overgrown irridescent shark   Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Wow. It's been nearly a year since I last posted about my shark. I have finally gotten a pond set up for him in my garage. Anybody have any tips on how to move him? I'm thinking of getting a "koi sock"-it's a soft net that holds water which will hopefully reduce the stress of the move. I would appreciate any other ideas, though. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:07 pm

A bath towel or sheet might work. Also I'd suggest covering 1/2 or more of the pond water surface with something floating - water lettuce, hyacinth, or styro box lids for the first few days or so until he gets used to the new surroundings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:41 am

I haven't posted for a while. Where does the time go? I finally got my irridescent shark in his own place. He had a rough move--he ended up jumping out of his aquarium onto the floor (thankfully he landed on the carpet to cushion his fall). I scooped him up quickly and ran him to his pond. He had a few scrapes but nothing serious.
He's in a 300 gallon "pond" in my garage and seems very happy. He has plenty of room to swim now. Since it's getting colder outside, I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas as to how best (and most economically) to heat his pond. So far I've been able to keep the garage around 70 with a space heater, but when it gets and stays really cold outside, I'm not sure what will happen. I'm thinking of adding a couple of aquarium heaters to help. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:20 am

Heating the water will be more economical than heating the air around the pond. And cover it at night with sheets of styrofoam to retain heat.

Iridescents are schooling fish, and being alone may be a factor in his skittishness. Now that you have the pond, you can consider adopting a couple additional ones for him to school with. From what I've heard they are not all territorial or aggressive to their own kind, unlike Plecos, Synodontis, and some other catfish.

PS - "Swai" catfish sold at seafood markets is iridescent shark. They can grow 3 to 4 feet long and 80 lbs. So feed on the light side, enough to keep him healthy but not to maximize growth, if you want to keep him. With fish, unlike mammals and birds, there's a HUGE difference between how much they NEED for health and how much they CAN eat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gab
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 am

Any suggestions as to how much wattage I'd need to heat the pond? Right now I have 2 300 Watt heaters in there (they are in the filter right now so shark won't run into them and they seem to float for some reason if they're in the tank), but they don't seem to be doing much. I do keep the garage around 60F for the dog who stays in there during the day, so I just need to increase the temperature about 10F above ambient.
I love this crazy shark and I'm sure he'd like more company(there are a bunch of minnows in there with him), but I really don't want another one(plus I imagine if I could find another large one, it would be quite expensive). It was never my intention to own a monster fish, but since I have one I'll do what I can for him as long as he lives. Would he take to any other kind of fish that wouldn't get so big? Or even goldfish so I wouldn't always have to heat the water?
I also don't feed him a lot, which is why he's probably not even bigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)   

Back to top Go down

overgrown irridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: African and Asian Catfish-