Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Any opinions on using a Hagen AquaClear 70 with a 29 gallon tank?

Too much or OK? The flow rate is 300 gph and adjustable.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm

What kind of fish are you keeping in the 29?

I have an Aqua Clear 50 on my 29 which is Tetra stocked and planted and I have to keep it on low all the time and it's still pretty hard on my plants with too much flow.

To be honest I run a sponge filter underneath the output area to difuse the flow.

I think a 70 is too much for a 29 and in my experience the flow while adjustable can not be adjusted low enough to make it practical on a 29...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:07 am

That soinds perfect for a cichlid tank. It's just over 10x. I know of a member that has one on a 20 Long. You can always mount it on the side of the tank I.stead of front to back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:05 am

Until recently I had one on a 20-long for my puffer (I switched to a canister when I moved the tank to a different room and the tank is too close to the wall for an HOB) and kept the flow reduced, but it was still plenty of current. I had an AC 30 on there but it did not seem to be enough for this tank due to the messy, carnivorous inhabitant.

It will probably need to have the media rinsed out frequently but should definitely do the trick. I have found that all AC filters seem to work so efficiently that they clog more quickly than the other types of HOBs, which IMO allow more water to bypass the filter cartridge.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 pm

I bought 2 AC 70s for another setup but plans change. I thought I would try one on my 29 gallon because the current HOB, an Emperor 280, does not do a good job even with weekly maintenance in my opinion. I think the gphs are comparable. I guess it does depend on the plants and fish you plan on keeping.

Bolbitis do well in a current. Anubias and Java Fern seem to grow under just about any conditions.

Any thoughts on a small cichlid?

Do you think a prefilter would help slow it down if necessary?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?   

Back to top Go down

Hagen AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-