Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Lighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melosu58
CVASMember

PostSubject: Lighting   Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm

OK let`s get some SW discussions going here. We will first talk about lighting. There are several types of lighting out there for SW. There is Metal Halides, HO flourecents (T5`s and VHO`s) ,Power Compacts and the new boys on the block are LED`s. What type lighting do you have?
My lighting is VHO`s. It`s the only lighting I have ever used. Kind of old school but I really like them. I have 4 160 watt bulbs in a retro fit covered by a aluminum dome to capture most of the lighting. My bulb colors are 2 super actinic and 2 50/50. Here is some pics of my lighting.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Does the lighting significantly raise the temp of the water, or do you have a chiller?

View user profile
Melosu58
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 am

No my temps stay a constant 78 degrees with out a chiller. Not that much heat with flourecents. I have my tank on an interior wall so outside temps dont affect it much either.

marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 pm

i have run VHOS MH T5HO and now have some LEDs
the VHOs i liked alot but upscaled the tank to a smaller foot print (125 gallon 6' long to a 150 Gallon tall 48" long) and went with 2x250 watt MH in the 20k range which kicked the heat up so i had to run a chiller year round.....got tired of the Va power bill and got an 8 bulb T5HO fixture (8x54watt) and now control the heat with a singel 4" fan.
i recently set up a JBJ 30 gallon all in one rimless and went with the deep blue solar flare dx led (18x3 watt white and 6x3 watt royal blue) over a 16" deep tank and i am really liking it and thinking about switching the T5s over the 150 to leds.
Must say tho i have always like the MH for color and groth on corals its just the heat and the cost of the bulbs that are the down fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Melosu58
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:03 am

How are the LED`s as far as deeper tanks like the 150. How much of a depth will they penetrate to be effective. Thanks for the report on your lighting. I agree with the MH`s. That is the reason I never went to them because of the heat problem.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am

I thought the corals needed really intense light? Are there some that do and some that don't?

I know these are noob questions but I've never kept SW and I'm very interested. Smile

View user profile
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:33 am

the newer leds will pentrate the deep tanks have seen several 150 with led lighting.
asfar as corals some take intense light others less intense and you set them i the tank acordingly.
the leds over the 30 are rocking the bubble tip nem has split three times in the last 2 weeks since putting them on there and starting to get some growth on the slimmer and rose millie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Melosu58
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

The corals in my tank are moderate light corals. They get along fine with VHO lighting. They are soft corals and LPS corals. There are a few SPS corals but they are moderate light SPS corals. Most SPS corals would not make it with VHO lighting.

marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 am

now running a 90 with 2 r4b nova leds and have all types of coral and even clams on the bottom leds are the thing get good growth and good color
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lighting   

Back to top Go down

Lighting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Saltwater :: General Saltwater-