Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Peckoltia L147

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Peckoltia L147   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 am

Here's some pics of Peckoltia L147, which is a species that is often accidentally caught with Clown Plecos (Panaque maccus), so they are often sold as such. Deb and I had the pleasure of meeting Anomala yesterday to pick up my new catfish! Thanks so much, Donald, for placing this gorgeous fish in my care. Very Happy She's in really great condition and is an impressive specimen.

My daughter named her (we're pretty sure this is a female) Banner, because of the flag-like tail fin extension. She's now in my 150 gallon with lots of hiding places, and she's staked out a cave for herself. I don't expect to see her out and about much, but I can drop food into her vicinity easily. This is not a pleco that is going to suck on the glass and scrape algae, but will dine on sinking veggie/catfish tablets for the most part.

She's about 6" long with the tail (as you can see she barely fits into the fish transfer box) and is full grown.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Great shots, Liz! ThumbsUp And good decision to take that pleco. She will do well in your 150 and be a nice feature catfish. You may see her in the early am, before the lights come on.
Very Happy

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:26 pm

She is beautiful. I am so glad the pleco is in your care Liz. If you ever get any pics of her in the 150 I would love to see them. Don't forget to put her favorite piece of driftwood near the cave Smile

Best wishes,
Donald

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Donald, I sure did put her favorite piece of wood right there with her, and I will try to get a pic of her in the tank. It won't be easy, but maybe once she settles in she'll show herself some. There are TONS of places for her to hang out in private.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 am

Your first pic is gorgeous and really captures the personality of Banner.
The more I look at it, the more I like it and the more I see how placing it in Peckoltia may indeed be temporary.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 am

Where is she headed? Hypancistrus?

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:43 pm

Liz wrote:

A change in the genus name? Who makes these decisions?

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:55 am

Donald wrote:
Liz wrote:
A change in the genus name? Who makes these decisions?

Scientists only, when they have time to work on it. Someone needs to take an interest, get the project approved, and then get funding. It can take years. It would be a great project for a grad student. There are a number of species currently assigned to Peckoltia which may not belong there. I believe that at some point, the elongate Peckotia will be reassigned to another genus. Perhaps a new one will be erected.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peckoltia L147   

Back to top Go down

Peckoltia L147

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-