Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

agressive fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: agressive fish   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I have a venustus that i removed from my tank a few months back along with another fish that was a lil too aggressive. They would only pick on of course, my most colorful (and favorite and expensive) peacock . Now, i like the venuetus and im wondering can i reintroduce him the original tank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I've never had haps or peacocks, but plenty of aggressive mbuna. My best success is when I rearrange all the rock work and reintroduce the fish. Doesn't always work. I did read the profile on the venuetus and it's listed as aggresive, so it may not be the best match for the usually mild temper peacocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks I can use all the help I can get..any more suggestions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 am

Esspea -

More information might yield some additional thoughts.

What size tank?

What other species inhabit the tank which the Venustus would be reintroduced?

Can you share a few images of the tank?

I've had success as mpowers suggests on my Hap/Peacock setup; re-aquascape and then reintroduce the shoal.

Venustus are Piscovore, their diet consists of other, smaller, fish. Not sure of the size of your Ven or the other tank mates - is that something you need to consider?

I've personally never kept this species although I really like the fish and I know of others who have successfully kept Venustus in Hap/Peacock set ups.

What I noticed about these successful set up's was they were very heavily stocked.

It's tough dealing with aggression issues, it normally means isolating the aggressor and while we know it is best for the community it's tough to see a fish not with his group.

Don't give up, keep trying new things to find success.

Each situation is different and each fish is different and there are many FISH that just don't want to follow their profiles! Smile

ovyaker75
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 am

The only experience I've had are w mbunas , I took out the one that was being picked on, let his fins and scales heal up 100% when I reintroduced him to the tank few days later I found the bully of the tank wedge inside the holey rock DEAD! Shocked I guess fish do hold a grudge lol so I would say if your peacock is being picked on to the point he's losing fins take him out put him in the separate tank til hes healed up then put him back in! I think they come back stronger! I truly do believe it toughens them up. IMO if you take the aggressor another might take his place
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 am

Venustus are ambush predators and will significantly outgrow Peacocks as well as several other Haps. They are awesome fish, but in my opinion need to be kept with same size and tempermant tank mates. Peacocks are moving targets for this guy. I too have seen them in very large tanks with significant overcrowding, but also lot's of rock structures with holes and caves to allow for escapes and safe spots. IMO, I would say they need to be in 150's or larger if introducing smaller and less aggressive tankmates. Even then I would expect losses.
I agree with thegundog each fish, and situation is different and there are many fish that don't follow their profiles. I have 4 Acei's in with Zebra's, Labs, Tropheops and the Acei are bullies. They have grown slightly larger than the rest and don't mind letting the others know they are now in charge.
Don't give up and try making changes and crowding. Keep a close watch though so you don't over stress the others and have killing going on. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and rehome some fish. Overcrowding also requires over filtering, and weekly 30 to 50% water changes sometimes weekly.

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

What your explaining about the venustus is typical african behavior in this type of setup. The prettiest peacock in your setup is usually the dominant male. The ones picking with him are trying to establish themselves as the new dominant. Overcrowding is the solution most use because it spreads the aggression out. The problem with the venustus is they will grow almost twice the size of most peacocks. I kept a trio of venustus in with an all male peacock setup and had no real issues. One thing I did was change the aquascape around once a month during a scheduled water change to help as well.

If you want to add him back go for it I would say. Try doing a water change and changing the aquascape and adding him back in. Lights out for a while could help everything settle in as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 am

Well, the peacock and the venustus are about the same size and it's odd because all my fish seem to pick on the same peacock. if I put a real colorful 1 in that's the only 1 that gets picked on. Normally its regular picking just chasing him off of a spot but with the venustus its relentless .... The fish in question are about 4 and a half inches long and I have them in a 125 gallon tank. The venustus has been out of the tank for about 3 months and im hoping the hierarchy has been re established.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Nature is beautiful and amazing, but oh so cruel sometimes. The weakest does get the brunt of Natures furry. If the Peacock is the only one getting relentless bullying, perhaps it may be best to place in another tank or rehoming. You do have a quite large tank so either overcrowding or moving the Peacock, or the aggressors may be only answers. What kind of Peacock do you have? I may be interested if rehoming is your decision.
Again as was said earlier, fish don't always meet their profiles.

esspea
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 am

Well I reintroduced the "angry" venustus to my 125 and I am happy to say he is doing well with the other fish. I removed the fish that was getting harassed and now all is well..it was a lil dicey at first. When I put him in he was getting bullied a little by my dolphins. I guess he needed to get re-acclimated because the following morning he had risen again to his status as king of the tank! He's not bothering anyone too bad other than the female venustus but he's even "letting her live" for the most part ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: agressive fish   

Back to top Go down

agressive fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-