Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Green water! need help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Green water! need help.   Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

This says it all. It's been going on for a long while. At first I thought it was pretty and figured it would go away on its own. I tried a several week blackout and large water changes. It keeps coming back. There are plenty of healthy plants in this tank, growing well with NO visible algae on the leaves. The fish are mixed guppies (Trinidad, Endler's, Gambusia) and Otocinclus and all are perfectly fine and do not seem to be affected at all.

There is a heater and one 17 watt bulb over 20 gallons (long). The light is on four hours in the morning and another four in the evening. There is no mechanical filter.

How can I get rid of the green water?

AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 am

I actually don't think the green water is at all dangerous, but I could be wrong. I think it is bothersome to us from an esthetic point of view, but the fish don't care. This is very interesting, though, since often green water defies everything we think we know about eliminating algae in general, i.e. limiting light and nutrients.

How long did you run the UV filter? Some folks run them 100% of the time for sensitive species, so that might be something to consider.

I'll be very interested to see how this goes for you long-term.

View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

I ran it 24/7 for at least 2 weeks, it was one I borrowed from someone. Black out during the time I was running it. I was told green water had less oxygen and that's why it would be dangerous. I encourage algae in my tanks and actually usually start a new tank with a decor item that has algae to start it in the new tank since I keep algae eaters and figure some fresh food is better than feeding them all processed foods or buying them veggies (I do those things too, but like having homegrown too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 am

For sure a really thick green water situation can deplete oxygen (this can be a real problem in ponds), but it looks like you're keeping something of a handle on it so it is not completely opaque. This is really something! Everything you read talks about excessive nutrients but I think you've really addressed that.

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am

There are a LOT of snails in this tank so you've got a heavier bioload than one might think, so reducing the load in the tank might be something to look at.

Also, have you switched the type of food you feed, in case that has something to do with it? Feeding every other day instead of every day for a while, maybe?

I'm grasping at straws but it is something we all will deal with if we haven't already, so it is a worthwhile discussion.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 pm

That is some very green water...  affraid 
I think you are right to try to clear it up. How often are you performing water changes?

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm

That's mainly my mystery snail hatchery tank, so all the snails you see are about half the size of a dime, yes a bioload, I feed a variety of food for both the snails and the fish and the snails since growing babies really do clean it all up. So no on decreasing feedings Very Happy

I do water changes 1-2x a week, usually at least 50% each time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm

When I see something going on with my tank water that is not in my source water, I do water changes every day until I get results. I did notice that you mentioned that you tried darkening the window. You may have to move that tank to a location away from the window...  Sad

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Ok, by cover I mean thick fabric that the sun is no longer hitting the tank, not just standard curtains Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kat12
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:01 am

Update on this. I got fed up with the 29g and tore it down. Gave the fish tot he kids, moved the snails to other tanks, ditched the driftwood/moss/plants in a big tote until I got a new 40breeder set up.

So got the whole new tank going and it started happening again. I took out the driftwood, squirted it with hydrogen peroxide and rinsed it in the shower well and put it back in the tank - PROBLEM SOLVED! Not sure still what it was about the wood etc that was causing the green water, but it looks like the green jello tank is done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am

@kat12 wrote:
Update on this.   I got fed up with the 29g and tore it down.   Gave the fish tot he kids, moved the snails to other tanks, ditched the driftwood/moss/plants in a big tote until I got a new 40breeder set up.  

So got the whole new tank going and it started happening again.   I took out the driftwood, squirted it with hydrogen peroxide and rinsed it in the shower well and put it back in the tank - PROBLEM SOLVED!   Not sure still what it was about the wood etc that was causing the green water, but it looks like the green jello tank is done!

Congratulations  cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:48 am

Looking to know if people run the UV stabilizers on a temporary basis or full time on their aquariums?

And if full time, what do you use? I see the Aquatop canister filters have a UV stabilizer built into them. Does anyone have one running on a freshwater tank?

Does anyone use other types of UV stabilizers?

Thanks!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:46 pm

Is a stabilizer the same as a sterilizer? If so i run this huge thing in my 55 gallon. uv sterilizer Was thinking of putting one in my 180 but it is so ugly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:23 pm

sorry UV sterilizer - so it works?  are they hard to maintain or are the bulbs easy to find?  Cobolt has an LED sterilizer   Cobalt Duo-Filter UV 500 or 1000

Cobalt UV filter

DUO-Filter UV
The DUO-FILTER UV filters are an internal power sponge filter that also feature a LED-UV clarifier that removes water born microscopic algae, bacteria and other organisms and
keeps water clean and green free. In addition, the larger 1000 model also features a ceramic ring biological filtration stage.
• Universal hanger adapter
• Adjustable venturi with silencer
• Fully rotational output with adjustable flow
• USB powered 500mw LED-UV clarifier destroys single cell algae and parasites

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Chris M.
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 pm

I agree with Fward, they are kinda bulky, you need a good sized tank, not sure of performance. I placed mine in my tank, then took it out, did not like the view. Bulbs are available, I've seen a lot on ebay, not sure about LPS. Personally I would only consider using it in a 55 gallon or above.

Chris M.
5 Gallon marineland eclipse
13 planted Community Tank
20 gallon Angel planted tank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green water! need help.   

Back to top Go down

Green water! need help.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Algae Woes-