Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please   Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:29 am

A question or two for my knowledgeable friends out there …

Situation: 2 tanks –

1st tank: 12 gal Fluval Edge – set up Feb 2012 – cycle complete March 2012 – water readings: ph-6.4, amo-0, ites-0, ates-usually 40 to 80 … 4 Zebras, 6 Neons, 4 Salt & Pepper Corys and 1 Apple Snail (all apparently healthy) … artificial plants … light turned on , obviously too much, for months – much brown type algae … Apple Snail laid several clutches of eggs in July, 2 clutches hatched – now have many (75+) small snails … concurrent with the snail hatch reduced light to about 4 hours a day … but within a week of the hatch almost no, as in zero, algae … attribute to hungry little snails? Light reduction? Some of both?

2nd tank: 36 gal bow front - set up May 2012 – cycle complete July 2012 – water readings: ph-6.4, amo-0, ites-0, ates-usually 40 to 80 … 5 Corys and many (40+ … number changes by the hour) Guppies (all apparently healthy) … well planted with live plants (doing OK, although no wild growth) … light (Coralife dual T5, 6,700k & “ColorMax”) 10 hours/day – same profusion of brown algae as the 12 gal. (and now starting with some green feathery algae on a tall piece of driftwood that is close to the light source) … clearly need to cut back lighted hours to 7 or 8 …

QUESTION: Do you think “transplanting” a bunch of the small Apple Snails from the 12 gal tank to the 36 gal tank would help with the algae situation? AND would that be “safe” for the live plants (would the Apple Snails eat/damage/destroy the live plants)?

Anyone have a better solution/suggestion?

Anyone want some snails?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please   Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 am

First of all, I want some snails! Otis does, anyway....

Second, I have had this type of snail chow down on plants, and some didn't. I'd put a test plant into the 12gal and see what happens to it.

Usually the brown algae is a product of a new setup, and over time it resolves. I'd definitely look into getting the nitrate down in both tanks though, since those are high numbers, and though the fish can tolerate it, it is hard on them for sure.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please   Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:47 pm

I have a Coralife T5 with the same bulbs that I run 6 hrs/day. Just a thought.

Definitely get the nitrates down as Liz stated.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please   Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:41 pm

As stated above, Water changes to remove excess nitrates (shoot for under 20ppm) and light reduction. I did a 5 day blackout on my 40 planted tank and had very good results with algae reduction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please   

Back to top Go down

Snails, Plants and Algae - Your Help Please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-