Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

12 gal tank, black gravel, fish, a snail and 100+ golden pokka dots ... I've gone from "Oh, cool, another clutch of snail eggs" to scraping 'em off and pitching them ... they gotta go ...

What is the best way to get them to congragate so I can scoop 'em up in bunches?

Thought I read something somewhere about lettuce or steamed zucchini on a string, leave overnight and reel 'em in in the morning ...

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanilla.exe
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 pm

I think there's probably no best way to deal with a snail problem aside from breaking down the tank and sterilizing everything. Buuut I've heard good things about putting veggies in a jar over night. Usually whenever I've had a snail outbreak I cut back on my feeding and the population works it's self down.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm

You can just put a big leaf of romaine in the tank, no boiling, and rubber band it to a fork or something to jam it into the substrate so it doesn't float. In the morning there ought to be a good number of them on the lettuce. Put in jar with tank water for Liz. Repeat until gone..... Razz

Once you get the population down that way be sure to feed only what the fish will eat right away and they'll starve out, as Vanilla.exe says.

View user profile
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?   Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:25 pm

If ya want 'em, ya got 'em ... give me a couple of days to collect 'em - going out of town for the weekend ... I'll PM you when I get back and the collection is complete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?   

Back to top Go down

Apple Snails ... how to get 'em gone?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-