Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

A pleco question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: A pleco question   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:54 pm

So, I hit up another forum with this question, I'd like to know everyone here's 2 cents so this is a c/p, it goes like this:

So I have a tank, and the tank has some algae. Some of it I like, the other needs cleaned but I'm thinking this. The tank is sealed so to speak meaning nothing new goes in, anything included will do a mandatory 6 month q/t, at least.. mandatory, I can't risk anyone. So, that said, the little guy would have free roam, be alone (as far as plecos) but this is what I'm thinking. 1, he'd have to be "tough" to the point of carrying his own without stress with 6inch clowns, the crackhead yoyo's that get a wild hare from time to time etc. He'll have more than enough spots to hide in. I don't want him to get bigger than 4-6 inches tops, six is really big that would be tops. Basically, I'll feed him all the goods, but just want an occasional algae clean up. Most of the plecs I see that small are high dollar. So, long story short what's a good, hardy 4 inch plec, that can handle some goofyness from the loaches and will settle in nice and fine you know? What do you think would work? Again this is a down the road project, dude's not getting in for atleast 6 months from pick up, I just need to start running through different species. Let me know what you like, and would think will work - N

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 pm

Also he'd have to be cool with the others, now that I'm thinking about it. I don't want anyone all holed up, stressing. So what's a cool, chill, lay'd back plec that will hold it's own. I need the "everyone chill" factor. I like the black/whites, black/golds etc, but whatever works, throw some ideas out there - N

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:32 am

I don't think you could go wrong with a bristlenose. They are hard workers but can also hold their own, and don't get too large.

View user profile
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Good call, that'd include the albino option and if I played my cards right I might be able to get some babies which would be a cool little project.

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Do they end up being as messy as the commons are? The one I had was a mess, real pretty though. It was sold to me as a sailfin, real long fins etc. A good looker but reaked havoc on the nitrate count. - N

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Actually now that I'm thinking about it the babies might not do too well with the big clowns, maybe I'll stick to the just having one. Being egg layers I'd have to get the miss's seperate otherwise the eggs would be lunch. Let me ask you this, without doing any research yet what do you think about the male being a constant in the main tank, and the female being in a live planted "snail farm" tank. I could introduce her, once she's starting off with the eggs move her back to the planted and she could do her thing in a cave and the eggs would be safe? Is that too much movement for comfort, and do males play a large roll once the whole "egg ball" starts rolling? I think I remember something about males like to wave there tails at the eggs for current which would not work. Good thing this is a long term project, I guess I have some reading up to do. -N

Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Or just moving the male to the "snail tank". I know in the world of snakes usually you want to keep the female where she is and move the male around. I should probably just do some research instead of thinking out loud Wink

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:02 pm

The male bristlenose guards and fans the eggs, so you could do your idea but reverse the male and female in the tanks. It's not a bad idea.

For the set-up you describe above, the domestic bristlenose is the best choice of pleco, as Liz says. Be sure to get the domestic Bn - Ancistrus cf. cirhossus. Albino is fine.

Do not get any of the tricky plecos such as Hypancistrus, or a really small territorial pleco such as Panaque maccus (clown pleco.) Keep the water parameters of the loaches in mind; this would leave out Chaetostoma (rubberlip) species, although if the conditions were the same I'd say a rubberlip would be fine with loaches.

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:22 pm

I have found with working with bristlenose my males always hold their own better than the females. So if your going for just one pleco I would get a male bristlenose. However if you want to try your project with a male and female leave the female in the main tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A pleco question   

Back to top Go down

A pleco question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-