Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New 120-gal High

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: New 120-gal High   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Today was the day I got my newest addition, a 120-gallon tank that is 48" x 25" x 25". I've been on the hunt for a 4' tank and I'm so glad I found this one.

The tank is PRISTINE, as is the stand and canopy. There is not a single scratch on the glass, and the tank is either very new or scrupulously maintained.

It came with:

TWO Renal Filstar XP3 filters and all of the media required
One Emperor 400 with media
A "Solar Liighting Systems" 4x 36w (I think)CF fixture that is a mystery to me, since it closely resembles a Coralife fixture but it isn't, and I've never heard of this brand. It has two separate plugs for each set of lights, and a cooling fan, and has brand new bulbs.
Hinged glass tops that fit perfectly
A canopy that matches the stand but is not hinged, and I'll likely not use it this time.
A 5-gal bucket of gravel
Two buckets full of various items, including a whisper air pump, a large powerhead, a large pirate shipwreck decoration, a large skull decoration, two large cave decorations and various silk plants, a Jebo 350w heater, driftwood and other small supplies.

This was quite a haul! I'm not going to use the gravel or any of the decorations, save the driftwood (mopani), and I won't use the HOB filter, but these items may find their way into a club auction, or I'll save them for another time.

I used an old overflow box from a SW setup as a way to hide my filter intakes and outflows, drilling holes into the side of the box, and I'll have a description of the entire setup of the tank with photos on my blog in the coming days.

This is a big squarish tank that I originally got to put some angels that I'll be needing to move, but looking at it, it seems like too much tank for just angels! I'm considering sunfish for a native tank.

Here's a pic of the initial setup, though it is not 'scaped or anything, just got the sand rinsed and the filters running, etc. The water is still a bit cloudy from the sand being disturbed, but that ought to clear quickly, since the sand was all from previous setups and had been rinsed and dried thoroughly prior to storage. I mixed aragonite sand from Deb, and from my 150 (this tank has too much sand so I could steal some) as well as a couple of pounds of that black and white cichlid mix sand that I had leftover.

The light fixture is resting on two blocks of wood, but I'd prefer feet, so if anyone is familiar with Solar Lighting Systems, "Made in USA" (this is what's printed on the side of the fixture) and can advise me on whether Coralife feet will fit, or if this company still exists, that would be cool.

View user profile
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:15 am

Whoaaa! that's a beast of a turtle skull! Where'd you get that, do you know the history on it? Good find on the tank, I'm keeping an eye out for a big'n, it looks good, fits in that corner like it was meant to be Wink I'll be looking forward to how you finish it. That turtle skull is insane it almost looks alien'ish... freaky. I dig it. I have a "design" in my head I want to make where I basicly need a giant gator snapper skull that I'll put middle center on the plastron and basicly "schilack" that joint. It'll look pretty cool if I pull it off right. I just need to find the parts you know, already available so to speak I don't want to do any "finishing". That's cool you found a whole deal, everything plus included with the tank. Keep the pics comming as you work it all out -N

ovyaker75
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 am

A native species tank would be pretty cool, pumpkinseeds are pretty colorful, warmouths look pretty nice also (they are almost black w/ real dark green specks) and black crappies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nereus7
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:29 am

btw I'm guessing when you say skull dec. you mean the human skull right, no way they threw in the one in the picture right? The eye sockets on that joint are insane! Whatever the case good find that's awesome. - N

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:36 am

Liz, it's the perfect size for that space! ThumbsUp This will be ideal for the angelfish or the native fish - whichever way you decide to go. Good find for this unusual size.

The wooden feet are cool - I noticed they were using them up at Azalea. I have a set of Coralife legs you can have if you want them.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 am

Nereus, that turtle skull is one I collected myself when I lived in Florida almost 20 years ago. It is a loggerhead. I was canoeing on the Intracoastal when I saw it on the bank and picked it up.

Also, the skull decoration is the kind you'd get at PetSmart, for sure!

Incidentally, next to the turtle skull, propped against the wall, is a cluster of sand dollar fossils that were found in the Arizona desert. I also have a fossilized crab found in the desert that shows the whole thing - the claws and shell and everything.

Ovyaker, I'm going to research the natives a bit. My husband wants to go up the road and catch some for me, but I'd want to get very, very young ones so I could adapt them to eating prepared food, etc. They'll be loaded up with parasites, etc. also, and that's a consideration too. Purchasing tank-raised natives might be smarter in the long run.

I think even a 4' tank might be a small footprint for many natives, which would want to clean out a large spot in the sand for themselves, but I'll look into it and see what might work.

Deb - I'll examine the light fixture and see if it has the slots for Coralife feet - thanks!

View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I have a blue gill and some sort of Brim hybrid that my stepson caught by hand in a creek at a local park here in Fredericksburg. I have them in a 75g and they were full of parasites attatched to their fins. I treated them with Anti-Fluke Life Bearer from AP. Pro. It took some time to get rid of them with doses of this chemical and lots of water changes. I think it was around 2 months before everything had cleared up.

We have had them for over a year now and are doing great, as for getting them acclimated over to prepared foods I used small crickets from petsmart and after a few feedings i would drop in Omega One shrimp pellets along with the crickets and slowly used less and less crickts now I feed them strictly shrimp pellets with the occasional treat of rosy red minnows and or large crickets.

The blue gill has awesome color and his fins are trimmed in white, I have never seen the white trim on any blue gill in the wild and believe me i have caught my fare share growing up on a lake. They both have been growing out nicely and couldnt ask for better wetpets.

beatiful tank by the way i am sure whatever you stock it with it will be a stunner of a tank.

PS, i am a sucker for large pirate shipwreck decorations Very Happy how much $$$$$$$ do you wants fo it??????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Nice! You found a tank pretty quick with some great accessories! Looking forward to see what's to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:34 pm

I have plans to go to the James River next week and collect a really nice branchy piece of driftwood as a centerpiece, and I may not plant this tank as much as I typically do - I'd like to do something a little different.

I think initially I'm going to be forced to put some juvenile angels in the tank, since they're going to outgrow the 45 pretty soon (11 of them!) but that is good info about the blue gills, Leanback! I'm glad to know I can keep them in a 4' tank. Post some pics of your setup. Very Happy

I'll probably put the shipwreck in the auction at our next meeting, if you can make it.

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 am

Here's the video of what I've got going on so far in the 120. I added a piece of driftwood that I soaked in the pool for a week, tied to a rock, so it got a good dose of chlorine while it was getting waterlogged. After that I put it in the bath tub with overdose of Prime for a few hours before a scrub and into the tank. It still does not sink, so I have had to keep the rock tied to it, and have placed anubias to hide the string holding the rock in place, lol!

I've got my Denison's barbs and they are doing really well. Gambusia went back outside in the tub on the deck. I'm very pleased with the barbs and look forward to watching them mature. I'll be ready to add some angels in about another week. I also need more driftwood and am waiting for the perfect branchy piece, so the tank looks pretty bare right now.

I need some water sprite and hygro to help keep the water quality up and absorb nutrients while the other plants establish more slowly. I'll be putting a 48" light fixture on this weekend and don't want to be overrun with algae.

I also hope to add some threadfin acaras in the future (Alleykat's avatar), Acarichthys heckelii. They are kind of a link between eartheaters and the acaras, and it is my understanding that they don't dig around so much in the substrate like other geos, which might make keeping plants more of a possibility. However, I will also likely put in some of my red-head Tapajos once my group in the 150 matures and pairs off and I find myself with some that need to be removed.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Liz, it's gorgeous, I'm jealous, and this is the way (approximately) I hope my apisto tank will look, only with more wood. Your tank is a tiny bit bare as you say but it works, and soon you will have more decor to fill in.

I love the barbs! Are these the ones we saw a couple of Fridays ago? Nice!

The placement of the tank is just right, too! That worked out well, and I can say that with authority as I have seen that location may a time in person. *lol* Hope Sirius and Major are adjusting to the new set-up. Wink

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks, Deb.

I'm holding out for that perfect piece of driftwood, and am going to try not to load up the tank with rocks and wood, but a "statement" piece of wood will finish things off.

I don't know if we saw any of these barbs or not when we were out last Friday, but I'm sure there are some in the live plant tank at Azalea.

Sirius quickly adapted to the new dog bed location, but Major seems a bit out of sorts.

Here's a video of the 45-gal with the growing angels, and if you watch the whole thing you catch a glimpse of poor Major trying to make do:

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Oh, the poor guy! I know he's perfectly all right but dogs do have a way of looking pathetic and engendering sympathy for themselves. I love you

LOVE THE VIDEOS! and now I can see them, too, from my NEW laptop! I have joined the real world. *lol*

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, I just used the tank calculator feature on Aquatic Community: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

and I found out that this is actually a 125-gallon. Not that 5 gallons makes much difference in this context but that's a handy calculator - I'll make it a sticky so people can find it easily.

View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:21 pm

@Liz wrote:
Well, I just used the tank calculator feature on Aquatic Community: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

and I found out that this is actually a 125-gallon. Not that 5 gallons makes much difference in this context but that's a handy calculator - I'll make it a sticky so people can find it easily.

I had bought a 100g acrylic tank a couple years ago and after a few months i decided to check the measurements and it turned out to be a 110g i was all like heck yea 10 extra gallons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Awesome tank Liz can't wait to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Here's how it looks now and I'm not sure what I'll do with it, since, as in another thread, the piece of driftwood I found for it turns out to be cedar and I'm not comfortable using it. Crying or Very sad

I'll work with what I have and keep looking....

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Looks real good. Is that basic Polly filter sand? Looks. White on my phone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 pm

This sand is a mixture of at least three types of sand I've used over the years! It is mostly the black and white cichlid sand and aragonite sand, but there is a bit of pool filter sand in there with the flecks of tiny brown gravel, and there may be some play sand in there too. I just went through my storage and gathered up all the sand I could find so I wouldn't have to buy any. Deborah gave me some of her extra aragonite sand, too, and I robbed some from my 150. It is a real mixture that doesn't come through with a crummy phone camera. The sand is pretty white, though.

View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 pm

I had planned to ask you about the sand. You did a great job with the mix, the tank looks great! To that end, all your tanks look great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:11 am

Thanks! This tank is being reworked as we speak, and I'll post pics once I'm done. Smile

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 120-gal High   

Back to top Go down

New 120-gal High

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-