Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

30 gallon cube project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Gonna pick up a 30 gallon cube tank Friday and was planning on getting some ram cichlids.I was wondering what would be good tank mates? I was also wondering about substrate and filtration? Right now all I have is a aqua clear 70 filter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 pm

That filter ought to be fine for this tank.

As for tankmates, your rams are going to prefer hanging out on the bottom, or near it, so I'd probably avoid other bottomdwellers, though if you had just a pair you might be able to do it with this tank's footprint, provided they have their own area to claim. Catfish will eat eggs if you were thinking of breeding the rams.

That means any kind of tetra or rasbora would likely be good, livebearers, whatever. The rams can get a bit nippy when they're mated but if you provide them a nice cave (stacked wood or rocks, or a cichlid cave of some kind) so they can have their own turf they won't bother the other fish very much. What kind of other fish did you have your eye on?

They're going to like a planted tank and gravel or sand, it doesn't matter.

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks Liz for the info. Don't really have any certain fish I was looking at just suggestions for tank mates..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Just replying to the tankmates question, for tankmates I would suggest that with the dimensions of a cube you don't look at fish that want to race from one end of the tank to the other. This would rule out a lot of the danios, and some tetras, such as lemon tetras. Other tetras, such as glowlight tetras, prefer the bottom third of the tank so they probably won't be a good choice for you, either.

However, pencilfish might be a good choice if you can find them. They are top-dwellers and seem satisfied in a smallish area if they are in a decent size group.They spend a lot of time concerning themselves with what each other is doing. Cute fish.

Fish that like to poke their noses into everything are usually satisfied with a small footprint, too. So a few mixed guppies, or Endler's livebearers, both top-dwellers, might be good choices.

A personal favorite of mine, although not South American, is the jade-eye rasbora - also called the emerald-eye rasbora, or eyespot rasbora. These fish are active top-dwellers best kept in a decent size group. Look them up under Brevibora dorsiocellata.
Very Happy

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Is this the 30-gal cube that I saw on Craig's List? I was SO tempted by that tank!! It is such an unusual dimension.

I second Deb's recommendations. This tank has tons of room but not a lot of length and some fish might find that restrictive. Angels would be good, since they will stay in the middle and upper regions and need a deep tank without requiring length. Discus too. The rams would work with these fish just fine.

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I'll check them out.

Yes Liz its the 30 cube that is on Craigslist. I know what you mean I looked at at it went back to it then looked again and then went for it Smile. Worst case I was thinking a lil saltwater setup Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 pm

You can do ANYTHING with this!

I'm so glad you got it. I was THIS close to getting that tank, lol.

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Lol thanks, yea I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm so tempted to do a salt tank.I did a 40 breeder and I have to admit it was the coolest anktank. Had ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:03 pm

OK it has a t8 bulb does anyone know of any t5 fixtures in the 20' range they can point me to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Twenty feet! Thats a tall order....

Check out aquatraders.com

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Yea I get the lil slash mixed up all the time Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 am

Heyiz what would you recommend as far as plants ? Wanna.try.something new
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:15 am

For a new tank you need to start off with really fast-growing stem and floating plants, if a planted tank is your goal. Otherwise, in a new setup algae can really get the upper hand. Once the tank is stable and established you can take out the floating stuff and then add the slower-growing plants.

I'd start with hygro for a stem plant and water sprite as well. You can even get some salvinia floating plant to really suck up the nutrients and prevent algae from growing initially, but then you'd want to remove it later. Java fern, anubias and crypts are always good, plus you could have a really nice specimen of Echinodorus, like bleheri, a regular Amazon sword. Those get so big and you have a tank here that can easily accommodate it and allow it to grow well. Valisneria is good too, but in my experience they take a while to get started and you may want to wait to add that, plus the sword, since they're slower growing and might struggle in a new tank.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

James0816 was selling baggies of Salvinia recently. Maybe check him out, he is a member here. Very Happy

Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks for the tip I check him out.

Just picked the tank up about a hour ago , very impressed with it . Also got a tote full decorations, equipment , chemical and so one one good deal I made out on this one.

***side note what's the better filter aqua clear 70 or emperor 400?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Russ wrote:
Thanks for the tip I check him out.

Just picked the tank up about a hour ago , very impressed with it . Also got a tote full decorations, equipment , chemical and so one one good deal I made out on this one.

***side note what's the better filter aqua clear 70 or emperor 400?
The 400 will produce more GPH then the AC 70 but I like AC better because of media storage. It's really a preference, as for plants go to AJ on Wednesday for the 25% all live stock. You can get plants cheap between 5-9 pm. That way you can try out what you want without losing to much money if it doesn't work out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks flip I forgot all about the sale at Aj
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I could be wrong but I measured the tank today and its 24"l X18d x21 high wouldn't that make it a 37 gallon tank?

What would I need for lighting to keep some oef those plants Liz mentioned? As it stands right now I have 2 lights. One is a single T8 fixture and the other is a 2 bulb fixtures. One of those blubs ate a plant bulb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm

I would call that a 40.

I'd use the bulbs you have and see how the plants do - I'll bet they'll do the trick.

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks Liz. I've seen other posts say its a 37 and some say 40 idk Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:47 pm

According to my handy dandy calculator it is 39.2 gallons, so I'm calling it a 40, lol!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Lol sounds good to me . Anyone know anything about dwarf puffers? I'm still undecided on what fish I want .i
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Dwarf puffers are loads of fun! I had them years ago. The only thing is they are very tiny and hard to see in a big-ish tank. I kept mine in a 12-gal Eclipse on the kitchen counter. So adorable.

If you like puffers you could do some SA puffers, which get bigger and can stay together in groups. Keep in mind they'll need regular meals of snails to keep their beaks trimmed down, which can be a bit of a pain, but I know that my own F8 puffer, Otis, is a big hit at my house and is a lot of fun to own.

View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks Liz where can I find info on the same puffer ? How many would I be able to keep in this tank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:33 pm

If you're interested in puffers this is the place to learn:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/

They have a library and all kinds of resources for the optimal care and feeding of all kinds of puffers ( just checked and the library seems to be down at the moment, but read the forums- lots of info there)

Now, the SA puffer needs to be in groups, which is rare in a pufferfish, so I'd say 3 of them, or maybe 4, but do read up on trimming their beaks because they seem to by default need this procedure done, even when fed snails. They also need a well-cycled and very stable tank with pristine water conditions, since puffers tend to come down with ailments more often than other species, being less tolerant of swings in parameters.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 gallon cube project   

Back to top Go down

30 gallon cube project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-