Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Aquabid browsing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Aquabid browsing   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I was looking through all the catogories on aquabid then looked at the time 2 hours have passed! what a time sink that was. mentally i spent a few thousand dollars and would need several swimming pools to house everything i want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm

I spent half the day looking around the site. Ironic you should mention Aquabid.

Alleykat0498
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:18 pm

I peek at AB every few days without fail. If i was UBER wealthy id have a few intex pools warehoused somewhere!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 am

I registered yesterday as well thinking of making a few purchases. Has any one bought anything off aquabid, if so any helpful hints and tips for bidding and sellers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 am

Liz knows a lot about Aquabid.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:53 pm

@Leanback wrote:

I registered yesterday as well thinking of making a few purchases. Has any one bought anything off aquabid, if so any helpful hints and tips for bidding and sellers?
I have not bid on anything on aquabid but I have just purchased. Both of my purchases were from the same seller (p_volitan) Great plants. No problems with either transaction. I treat any of these sites just like ebay. Paypal is the best method of payment in my opinion. Also, I have only purchased plants from aquabid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

I have purchased quite a few fish from Aquabid, as well as plants.

Cruise the listings frequently and you'll see there are very regular sellers who are always there, week after week. When it comes to SA cichlids, Snookin and Wetspot are very well known and reliable breeders, and you'll also see them contributing on some of the species-specific forums as respected contributors. Look for good feedback, and as Flip mentioned, always pay with paypal.

I don't bid, but I stick with "Buy it Now" listings, and many of them are. I always contact the seller before I buy and exchange an email or two, asking about shipping costs, if I can add or subtract fish from the listing, what kind of water they were raised in, etc. This gives me a good idea of what kind of person I'm dealing with - if they respond within an hour or two and answer your questions readily, you know you've got someone who takes their business seriously.

There are probably too many to list here, and I don't remember them all, but a lot of my Tanganyikan cichlids came from there, since when I was into those fish few local shops carried them, my puffer came from there, and my frontosas, geophagus and angels came from Aquabid.

I got a really great deal on a large assortment of plants from Prontodelivery, with lightening fast shipping and more plants were included than were listed in the auction.

A lot of the dealers are running specials now because of the weather change coming up, and they want to get rid of what they have before the cold sets in and shipping becomes more risky.

View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:35 pm

thanks for the info guys, I deffintley want some things from the wetspot and also apistodave has some pretty cool stuff.

Liz, who did you get the bolivian rams from? i just got a 40b from the dollar a gallon sale at Petco and wanted to get a pair or 2, yours are the best looking i have ever seen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:52 pm

You can't go wrong with apistodave!

I got my Bolivians from PetSmart. Once I got them home they colored up beautifully.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Look at Apistodave's DOA policy. No refunds, a credit toward your next purchase. He is located in Oregon and is inclined to use the USPS which I always have problems with. I've never purchased anything from him from for those reasons.

Also, go to Apistogramma.com and read some of his posts. That may make you think twice.

Sorry to sound negative about the guy. I'm glad things have worked out well for you Liz.

Best wishes,
Donald

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 pm

That's good to know, and there's a lesson in this: always keep up with the dealers, because they might be awesome before but things go down hill for them. He used to be very trustworthy and a straight shooter.

These days I tend not to order any fish if they are west of the Mississippi, and generally stick to the east coast, no matter what time of year. I always use Fedex - never a problem with them.

Generally you'll be able to find info about someone on the various forums - these are mostly people heavily involved in the hobby, so it is not as anonymous as ebay, for instance.

Thanks for the info, Donald!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aquabid browsing   

Back to top Go down

Aquabid browsing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-