Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

I'm Back...With Updates:-)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Hey everyone,

Sorry I had to miss the meeting, with the move coming I've been working lots of overtime! But I actually had some time on my hands to take some pictures of some awesome new additions to the fish fam. Hope you all enjoy and can't wait to catch up (hopefully at the next meeting:-) )

Meet Tupac and Biggie, the Tiger Oscars cheers (With Wiggums, the green severum)

Flip has done some AWESOME stuff with a 75 planted. Here are some shots of some of the fish and the plants, particularly the Boesemani Rainbows.

This Jack Dempsey is actually one we grew from a spawn - look how big he got!

Some updates of my 125 with all my babies:

Rocky, the Synspilum

Mr. Vieja (Vieja Bifasciatum)

Princess Celestia, my Spotted Pike (and yes, she is my fat spoiled princess who eats from my hand AND recently has started letting me pet her!)

The super mean Firemouth:

The Tiger Loach, and I kid you not, the meanest fish in my tank:

Vieja Fenestratus, they are growing bigger by the day:

Lady Dovii, who, due to aggression issues towards my Viejas, is being rehomed shortly to a good home:

I also house a green terror and a honduran red point in the tank. Honestly I thought the HRP would have become food by now, but she holds her own, so as long as she does she can stay. Not a scale out of place or a fin shredded either and she takes on the firemouth and the green terror daily. It's quite amusing.

Anyone remember the calico convicts we got at Azalea? When we got Richard the Buttikoferi? (who is doing fantastically in his own tank, he's a good 5-6 inches and tolerates NOTHING and NOBODY in his tank so he's housed by himself.)
Anyways, they've spawned like a bajillion times, here's a pic of a convict that's pretty much all grown up:

Here's Eelie, the Tiretrack Eel...I love this guy, he eats from my hand although he's incredibly camera shy as well as an escape artist:

The next set of pics is of an Angel fight I caught. Got some pretty good action shots.

I dont think this guy really knew what to do...he would zoom in and zoom off...it was pretty funny.

And while all this was going on, I snapped some pics of everyone's faves:

Mister Rumba

Buffalohead, Keyholes, and Kribensis

Here's a few more of my loves in my 125: (they get photographed the most, honestly.)

And of course, I still have the fabulous Vieja Argenteas. They are incredibly slow growing, but I'm loving how personable they have become and they get prettier and prettier the bigger they get. They move fast, but I was lucky this big one stopped and posed so very nicely for the camera:

Also housed with them are two dwarf pikes. They are quite the fatties. I believe we have a male and female, and they have recently gotten quite cozy together...maybe fry soon?

I believe the female is on the left, and the male is on the right. Female pikes seem to be a bit rounder on the underside, while males are pretty long and straight. This isn't a proven fact, just a hunch with the species I've seen.

And last but not least, Jaws, Flip's peacock bass. What an awesome fish he's become. He has since been moved out of this planted tank but these pics of him I took I couldn't resist posting. He's at least twice this size, and these were taken maybe a month ago.

Ohgoodness, and how can I forget a pic of the festae? These fish change all sorts of colors throughout the day, I don't think they maintain one consistent color. One of the most beautiful fish I've come across in the hobby.

Here she is again; and YES this is the same fish:

Remarkable, aren't they?

This last one is for Koolaid: When his flowerhorn and texas cichlid paired, he gave us about 7 fry. They are currently living with my sun catfish, Sonny, in a 55. They are growing super fast. They are hard to photograph, so this was the best shot I could get:

Koolaid, if you're reading this, they are doing fantastic and they have your typical flowerhorn personalities:-) They are all about 2-3 inches now.

Everyone, thanks for reading and viewing, I know it was long and I will try and update more often! Since Flip went to YouTube he hardly photographs anymore. You can search for his channel, Flippercon, to watch his videos - he has weekly updates on Jaws the Peacock Bass and fishroom and stock updates consistently as well. I'm sure he's got a link on here too. Thanks again and I hope to see everyone at the next meeting - hopefully our move will be over with and the fish room set up! If anyone is going to be in town any weekend during November that's when we will start the fish tank move and wouldn't mind some knowledgeable fish hands to help out. I work weekends so it is really going to be up to Flip to move the tanks unfortunately. Any help he can get will be most welcome, especially with the 125's.

Thanks again guys!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 am

Wow!!!! Jen.... Beautiful pics. Thanks for the Updates and sharing them with us. It was great seeing all the fish. I know you are happy with all of your babies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am

Jen, this is great! I just love all the pics and you really have some awesome fish! I don't even know where to start with my comments - I don't want to leave anyone out- but they are all just amazing. I'm in love with the wee tiger oscars, with really great markings. I wish they'd stay that size so I could keep them in a desktop tank, lol!

When do the fish get moved? What a huge job - keep us posted and I'm sure you can gather up a crew to help. Precious cargo! Very Happy

View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 pm

That fastae is sharp! I told Flip if he gets in a jam with the tanks to give me a shout! Since they delayed working on the bridges for at least a few weeks it shouldn't be a problem coming down. If they foul up the works again I'm out! Thier was a six mile back up to board they ferry here in Williamsburg because of the work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 pm

@Liz wrote:
Jen, this is great! I just love all the pics and you really have some awesome fish! I don't even know where to start with my comments - I don't want to leave anyone out- but they are all just amazing. I'm in love with the wee tiger oscars, with really great markings. I wish they'd stay that size so I could keep them in a desktop tank, lol!

When do the fish get moved? What a huge job - keep us posted and I'm sure you can gather up a crew to help. Precious cargo! Very Happy

The fish are gonna be moved one tank at a time. We get the keys to the new place the day before Halloween. We have until November 30th to be out of the old place. Both of us are working during the month. So my plans are to build the stand in the new fish room to hold all the tanks I want in there. After that it will be one tank a day on work days and 2 or 3 on days off. I have to reseal Jens 125 before setting it back up along with a 28 bow front. So my plans for the fish in those tanks is to put them in the 2 70 gallons I was given by Mike and Sheila, while I reseal the tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Good luck with the move i know its challaging enough just moving, not to mention all those awesome setups you guys have. If i lived closer i would help you out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm

GREAT looking fish and great pictures, you must have a nice camera.

Thank you for sharing

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

What a great gallery of pet fish! I can see why you love them all. Very Happy The fire mouth looks like somebody I'd like to keep around and I can believe that about the loach. *lol*

Good luck with the move. I hope there are no disasters or weird surprises. I have a feeling it will go well since you've been planning and thinking it through carefully. ThumbsUp

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm

The calico convicts look deceptively mild-mannered. Smile

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:04 pm

@Donald wrote:
The calico convicts look deceptively mild-mannered. Smile
lol Very true.
Back to top Go down
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:13 pm

that Tiger loach is a stunner, please more pics of that guy. You have a great selection of new worlds and they are all great looking fishes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks .We have had the tiger loatch for about 8 months now and this is the best picture we can get. We will try to get more.
Back to top Go down
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Great pics and fish. Enjoyed them all. You need to be our guest speaker at the next meeting on pic tips and techniques. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. What do you think everyone?

Last edited by Ron on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Sounds good to me. Also the videos.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I like this idea, too. They are both talented and have something to teach us. We do not already have any other speaker lined up so ... seriously, if Jen and Brian want to do a presentation on this topic I will be a vote FOR.
Very Happy

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:09 pm

I would be down for speaking:-) Depending on when the meeting was, but we always make a conscious effort to make pretty much every meeting.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm Back...With Updates:-)    

Back to top Go down

I'm Back...With Updates:-)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-