Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

new tank cycling problem?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Ok set up my cube tank yesterday, everything was cleaned good and added water tester around 2pm.only chimals I put in was the chlorine and cloramine remover , and a few drops of ph down.( I read somewhere it would speed up the cycling process. Anyway I cone home tonight to a cloudy tank and a light odor coming from the tank.so I go to my trusty google and look it up and I see it happens to a new tank and that I should check my ammonia and nitrate levels so i did and nitrate was o and here's where it gets interesteting the ammonia was very high in the dark green level? Is that good ,bad or normal?I've cycled a saltwater tank by the book before with the raw shrimp meathod and it took at least a week to get those ammonia levels. What do I do know?

**forgot to mention I put in a tiny amount of fish food crumbled up but it wasn't much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 pm

No livestock? If not, then you're well on your way. Let that ammonia do its thing and keep dosing it, if that's how you're cycling.

I'm wondering where it came from, though. Fish food takes a little while to break down to the point where it is creating ammonia, typically, so I wonder about the high ammonia.

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:29 pm

What are you using as an ammonia source?

Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, no livestock at all just crumbled a small amount of fish food and left it alone. The ammonialevels according to the API test card is easily 2.0-4.0. I've seen post before of quick cycles but this seems too quick lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Something has created this ammonia, and it has to be something in the substrate or filter. This is not really a problem, since you need high levels of ammonia to start your cycle, but it would be good to know why it is there - a little crumbled fish food the day before would definitely not do it.

You'll need a daily source of ammonia, like pure ammonia from a bottle, to maintain your levels, rather than fish food. I'm sure it can be done that way but it will gunk up your tank.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Russ, I have had the water tested here in VB just down the road and have had ammonia readings in the same readings out the tap. The nitrite stage is where things will get slow. do the shrimp thing that you did on the saltwater. the pure ammonia is a great source but you have to dose a consistent amount each day, and also test water daily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm

The tank was cleaned with straight water , and the filter I ran water/distilled vinager for abiut 3 hours then did the same with straight water ,then took it all apart and rinsied it thoughly with tap water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Yea I was thinking about going the shrimp route again it pretty much straight forward.and fail proof. Think ill drop one in tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Quick question, can I add live plants now or should I wait till cycle is done?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:25 am

Ammonia readings straight out of the tap! Shocked

You can add plants but they will "muddy the water" so to speak in terms of keeping track of how the cycle is going. If they're growing well they'll uptake ammonia. Plants love ammonia!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new tank cycling problem?   

Back to top Go down

new tank cycling problem?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-