Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

DIY Multiple tank stand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: DIY Multiple tank stand   Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Me and levi have been hard at work tonight building a new stand for our computer / playroom, here is our progress so far.

this stand is 8' long and 2' wide with 3 tiers. going to line 10g tanks up top then middle row will have 6 20g narrow side out and 2 40b on the bottom shelf at least thats what i have in mind at the moment, plans ar subject to change at all times lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:40 am

Looks great so far! Tell Levi "hey" for me! Very Happy

What will you keep? Are these breeding setups? Automatic water change system?

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:53 am

Looking good leanback , I love these projects.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks Flip and Liz, going to be my breeding center and yes Liz i am planning a automated water changing system. while we were out and about today in town i was pricing 3/4PVC sticks and fittings.

I need to do a little more research on the auto water changing system. Plan to finish the rack today. I want to paint it but that will add another 30bucks and a day for the paint to dry, so still on the fence. If i end up at Lowes tonight buying PVC i may get the paint as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Finished product here, now the daunting task of bringing in the tanks from the garage starts in the latter of this week. Once i get the tanks laid out right then i will start desging the piping for a "semi" automated water changing system.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I got most of the tanks on the rack and filled with water and fishes, now need to focus on the water changing system and a vertical sliding plexiglass front for the bottom tier to keep out little 3 year olds and my 2 year old grand daughter. already found a hotwheel in the bottom of a 20g today
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 am

That is looking good! ThumbsUp
It looks good, it looks sturdy, and it makes a good use of space. Any project that Levi is on will turn out well!

Leanback, I know you're 98 years old but can you possibly have a granddaughter???

Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 am

Quote :
Leanback, I know you're 98 years old but can you possibly have a granddaughter???

You wouldnt think but i have a 2 year old granddaughter and another on the way Very Happy I believe she is due in December.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 am

Nice! I always enjoy seeing a project come together.

I'm sure Levi did all the heavy lifting. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am

Well, congrats on the granddaughters, especially the new one on the way Very Happy AND congrats on building a good-looking stand! I'll be following this project as it develops.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 pm

I just have a quick question about the 3rd and 4th picture. What is used to make the cutouts/notches and clean them up? I'm thinking about making something similar but only to hold maybe a 10g, 20g H, and 55g. Thanks.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Nick_B wrote:
I just have a quick question about the 3rd and 4th picture.  What is used to make the cutouts/notches and clean them up?  I'm thinking about making something similar but only to hold maybe a 10g, 20g H, and 55g.  Thanks.

You can do that with a circular saw if it has a blade height adjustment. After you make the slits, very easy to knock them out with a wood chisel.
If you don't have a circular saw with right height adjustment you can also after making 2 cuts the width and depth you need, carefully chisel out in layers the wood you want to remove. Takes a bit more time but not hard to do using a sharp wood chisel and hammer.
Kind of goes without saying but very wise to wear eye protection regardless of method you use.
Both procedures are quite easy and not a lot of skill needed. Hopefully Leanback will make more suggestions. Judging by the nice job he has some very good carpentry skills and I'm sure far better tips to share.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 pm

I have a miter saw but my regular circular saw is out of commission. Thanks for the advice. I just may have to go ahead and get a new circular saw, it would be justifiable to my wife with a project.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Nick_B wrote:
I have a miter saw but my regular circular saw is out of commission.  Thanks for the advice.  I just may have to go ahead and get a new circular saw, it would be justifiable to my wife with a project.

Oh yes Nick...justifiable indeed!

If you measure well, line up each board exactly and clamp well, you can make all of the cuts at once. Makes the job a little easier as gives you a flatter surface for your saw to rest on and keeps you more steady also.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Check out tedsfishroom.com, the video for building stands uses this method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

+1 to verbal that's where I got the design from, also Ron hit it right on the head, clamp as many of the 2x4's together as you can makes for a better platform when using your skill saw to make the slats. Once you have your slats cut the it is easy to knock them out. Wood chisel is best but you can do it just as easy with a large flathead screwdriver.another trick I use when assembling the frame is to use a rope as vice to draw the wood frame tight together when screwing it. I believe you can see how I had the rope used in one of the pics. I was able to complete the one shelf system in about 3 hours the longest part of the job was cutting the slats the rest was just assembling (my favorite part) turned out to be a really solid shelving unit with lots of options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:48 pm

What size tanks are you putting on the stands and also how much clearence is required above the tanks for lights?

I am hoping to make a three shelf stand and was considering 48x12x17" tanks ( 40 or 33 long and 20 High) tanks. I only have room for about 48" lengths and depth I could go to 18 but 12 is better.

As far as measurements, do you figure any extra space for the length and width.

Measurements from Glass Cages.com for a

45 long 48 x 12½ x 17 Tall

33 Gal. 48 x 12½ x 13 Tall

For Aqueon the measurements are

33 Gal. 48.3" x 12.8" x 13.4"

40 long 48.3" x 12.8" x 16.9"

Thanks for any tips

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm

the measurements you listed is just for the glass you also have to take into account the plastic rim around the top and bottom of the tank which adds 1/4 inch to your overall measurement on bigger tanks 20g and up and i believe 1/8 inches on smaller tanks like 5g and 10g. your width can be as tight as you like as long as it slides in and on the shelf freely. if you put a 48 1/4 tank in a spot that is 48 3/8 you will not be able to put your arm around to access cords airlines and other valving or items behind your tank you will always have to go over top and reach down which can be difficult especially on the second and top tier shelving units.

I went with 18inch width because i could turn 20h tanks to their side and fit in 3, that's 60g of water on one shelf hard to beat that that much water in that tight of a space. I also like 18" width tanks like the 40b one of my favorite tanks.

Shelving height is probably going to be your toughest challenge i know it was mine. I didn't want my top tanks to be so high i had to view them with a step stool. That cut into my shelving height a considerable amount. what i did to combat this was i installed 48" dual bulb T5 strip lights directly underneath the top and middle shelf that kept the light up and out the way while still giving good light penetration and even coverage. this issue is going to be directly related to how tall of a tank you are to be putting on what shelf.

Sorry for the long, post hope this info helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-Leanback
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:46 pm

excellent reply -- thanks! I am thinking of three shelves and you bring up a good point about height.

I have a very small hallway -- only about 8 feet long and it is wasted space right now and I always wondered what that space was good for. This hallway is used for storage today. Now I just started setting up an african cichlid mbuna tank and was thinking that space could be used for breeders, grow out, quarantine, or hospital tanks.

My thoughts were to have two 4' tanks with Hamburg-Matten filters and two 20 high tank at the top.

So height is not as important as the length. I could do 3' tanks and save some space.

I was thinking the 18" wide tanks would make the small hallway tight so was thinking the 12.5" tanks to be a better fit.

I like your ideas and plans. Thanks for your feedback, Steve

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Did you use the miter saw to make this or circular saw or both? My husband and I are planning to make a stand in the next couple weeks but we were wondering what tools we should have? We have a lot of diy plans so getting some power tools would be an investment..not to mention we want to make several aquarium stands. I tried to message you to not noob up your post but just made this account although I have had this posted saved for over a year.
Back to top Go down
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:32 am

I haven't built a stand like this, but a circular saw will be needed for sure. It doesn't look like there are any mitered ends. 

I think you could get away with one of those Ryobi One+ lithium ion sets that has multiple saws/drills and such. We have one and there is very little we can't do with it.

View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:46 pm

I guess the reason im asking about the miter saw, is can you use a miter saw to make this as we are getting one because we are redoing our trim in our house and to rent one seemed silly because the length of time we need one wouldnt be cost effective. I was just thinking we could be cheap and just get one power tool..=P but we will probably need to get a circular saw too.
Back to top Go down
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:09 pm

You can definitely make this with a miter saw - that's an awesome saw to have.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Valentessa wrote:
Did you use the miter saw to make this or circular saw or both?  My husband and I are planning to make a stand in the next couple weeks but we were wondering what tools we should have?  We have a lot of diy plans so getting some power tools would be an investment..not to mention we want to make several aquarium stands.  I tried to message you to not noob up your post but just made this account although I have had this posted saved for over a year.

You could get by with a circular saw but a miter saw is more accurate and they make straight cuts too. My wife gave me a miter saw for Christmas. When I finish adding all the molding, caulking, priming and painting she has me doing and I if have some energy left, I want to build a multi-tank stand. For the first time in 20 years, I want to add more tanks. A rack consisting of a few 10 gallon tanks will allow me to expand my Guppy line and maintain a dedicated shrimp tank...Very Happy

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Multiple tank stand   

Back to top Go down

DIY Multiple tank stand

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: DIY - Projects and Ideas-