Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi All!

Just got back into the hobby after a long absence, and found the forum. Cool! I'm in Louisa, and have just stocked my 55 gallon planted community freshwater build. Started about 2 months ago; what a learning process! (again). I've been reading through the posts, seems like a lot of knowledge to glean around here. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Welcome to CVAS DL Lawrence! We are glad you found us Very Happy . I have recently fell in love with planted tanks and always love seeing others aquascapes. We have a really good group of members here with tons of great information.
To post pictures just go to photogrophy and videos and post either or. The instructions to posting pictures and videos can be found in the stickies (photos) and (videos) at the top of the photography and video forum. Hope to see some of your photos soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Great to have you join us DL Lawrence. Very glad you found us as well as your back in the hobby. Looking forward to hearing more anout your tank, fish and seeing pics. Great bunch of members here who are eager to assist with their knowledge as well as learn from yours.
Hope to be able to meet you at our next meeting. Date to ber announced so keep an eye ont the forum posts.
By the way,how did you hear about us?
Ron

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:14 pm

I actually found you guys through a Google search- I think my terms were "central VA aquarium" or something like that- I enjoyed reading the fish store reviews- especially Azalea Aquariums. I like that place- sure, they can be a bit quirky, but it's the best store around for selection, and shall we say..."character". I can burn hours in that joint. I work a couple of days a week in Lynchburg, and check out PAW occasionally- that's a cool place too.
Smile

They've been there a long time. It's good to see stores like that still around, sticking it out against on-line retailers, and the big box stores. I'll gladly pay a bit (or a lot) more to get my stuff from them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 pm

OK, thanks for the instructions- here's a pic. The tank took about 6 weeks to cycle. Residents are now 10 Neons, 7 Serpea Tetras, 5 Albino Cories, 4 Otocinclus Cats, and 5 Long Finned Zebra Danios. This picture was taken before everyone moved in. They seem to be doing well! The plants have grown a bit since this picture was taken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm

Welcome DL,

Nice setup, that looks much bigger than a 55g. I just recentely started with plants as well Liz and Deb have been helping me through everything.

Whats your light setup and your plant list?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, I wish I could pronounce my plant list; but I do know that I have some water sprite, micro swordgrass, giant hair grass, java moss, and some mondo grass (I think). There are a couple more I'm not sure of...Now, of course, I also have snails. This weekend, I'm going to snag a cuople of assassin snails I think.

I'm using two 24" T5's, on a timer, 8 hours a day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

The tanks looks great DL Lawrence, It does look bigger then a 55. I just purchased 6 assassin snails for my 75, They do work! Great snails for keeping others in check. I use to have visible MTS and pond snails with eggs everywhere. After 2 weeks with assassin snails I just have assassin eggs and a ton of empty shells.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

You've got a gorgeous tank there, DL! Welcome to CVAS - we're so glad you found us. Very Happy

If you do indeed have mondo grass, that's not a true aquatic plant (its the "monkey grass" we use along sidewalks and other landscaping) so it might not do well long-term, but who knows how long it will take.

I will echo the others - the tank looks much bigger than a 55!

View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Interesting on the size comments...it must be my photographic skills.....or not. Actually, I buy all my livestock from the Azalea "midget fish" section to make my tank look bigger... Laughing

Thanks for the kind comments....it's probably just the angle of the photo. It's 48 x 12 x 24, I believe. definitely 55. It was a Craigslist score with the stand and canopy for 75 shekels. We'll see how things go as we move along- still feeling out WC's, duration of lights on, testing frequently (so far, numbers are staying good, and consistent). I'm doing about 25-30% changes weekly. The fish seem to be happy, and active.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Very nice setup. You have done a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am

Welcome to CVAS, DL Lawrence. It looks like your return to the hobby is off to a great start. That is a beautiful set-up! Nice landscaping, front to back, is what gives a 55 gallon tank dimension and makes it seem wider than its meager 12 inches. Nice work! ThumbsUp

I love the gravel mix, btw. What did you use?

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Deb- Thanks! For substrate, I used a bag of Home Depot pea gravel, and a big bag of plain black aquarium gravel from P.A.W. The I mixed them together, and washed, washed, washed... that pea gravel was super-dirty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Welcome DL - love your set up, the plant arrangement looks awesome and the variety of plants is super!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello!   

Back to top Go down

Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-