Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Video of my 125 with new 'scape

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Here's the video of my 125.

It took a while to prepare the Buddha sculpture for the aquarium. I saw it for $16 at Ross department store, and it really "spoke to me," lol. It is made of plaster on fiberglass, and painted a metallic charcoal on the front. I coated it in epoxy resin, which had to be done in steps for the back and the front, and it took a while for that to cure, but that stuff is like a ROCK on this thing - you can't press a fingernail into it - very hard. I used epoxy glue to attach rare earth magnets to the top rim on the inside, and plastic coated magnets on the outside of the tank to keep it propped up, though it will stand without the magnets no problem. This piece is HEAVY and I wanted insurance that it would not fall over.

Glass chunks are from my BIL, who harvested them in a dumping area outside a glass factory in WV. I've had them forever and used them from time to time in my 'scapes. I really like them. I'm kind of departing from my loose biotope aquascaping methods, and decided on an Asian theme, sort of. The valisneria is planted in a Chinese rice dish, with a little scene painted around the outside, in case I decide to put eartheaters in this tank and I need to protect the roots. I am undecided on that so I'll leave them in the dish for now. It will depend on how the jungle val does, I guess. Or, if it does well, I can try to stack rocks around the base of the plant to protect it if I do go with eartheaters.

It looks very empty but I'm hoping the jungle val planted in the very back (scarcely visible) will grow up and fill in the back area. A black acrylic overflow box is used in the left rear corner to hide filter and heater equipment. It has holes drilled into both sides of it for flow.

Lighting is 2x55w T5HO - pretty dim! We'll see how the plants fare.

View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice Liz! That Buddha is sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:18 pm

WOW! :cyclops: thats eye popping Liz, I love the glass chunks it really adds to the Buddah piece. I like how it flows from natrual landscape over to the statue and glass. almost has a Weight scale look, the driftwood has the knot in the middle making it look like a scale and it is even tipping in the right direction with the size of the Buddah and glass chunks.

Its a very clean design and does differ from the other tanks landscapes you have. Very original. Top Knotch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks! I had not even noticed the weight scale thing, Leanback, and you are so right! That was not intentional, but I totally see it, lol.

I'm looking forward to getting it stocked. As soon as I see things are stable, and that the Buddha is not causing any problems (aquarium safe epoxy resin, but you never know! I'll monitor pH as well) I'll add 7 of the wild cross angels. Those are still pretty small but they'll grow out quickly with so much room.

Am really thinking about Geophagus altifrons but I don't see them offered much. I'd probably need to stick to a pair if I do find them.

I'm really trying to stay away from the same old thing, but its not easy!

View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 pm

LOVE<3

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 pm

And about the altifrons, I thought I saw some at AJ, I could be mistaken. Flip and I will keep our eyes peeled.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:14 am

That is an exciting look! ThumbsUp The Buddha is very moody and mysterious. Can you tell us more about this epoxy resin of yours?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am

@Deb wrote:
That is an exciting look! ThumbsUp The Buddha is very moody and mysterious. Can you tell us more about this epoxy resin of yours?

This is a clear two-part epoxy resin that you might use for a bar top. It cures rock hard and clear. It is self-leveling, meaning its designed to be poured and to flow evenly over a flat surface, and since my object is not flat, but very concave on one side and convex on the other, it was a bit tricky to work with. It has a pretty long set-time, 30 minutes, so it tended to pool in the bottom on the inside, and drip right off on the outside.

I was primarily interested in sealing the bare plaster on the inside, since that would be extremely friable when exposed to water, and there is quite a thick coating on the inside. The outside just needed to coat over the paint. I was worried it would be too shiny, but I don't think it is.

This is the same kind of clear resin you'd use when building a plywood/fiberglass tank.

View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm

Wow- very nice! One of these days, I'm going to build up a big one 125 or 150 or so. That's a sweet tank- well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Liz! Went to AJ today...and yes, they DO have Altifrons, and a good size too, at least 3-4". They go for $99 a pair. On wednesdays, you get 25% off. Might have to plan a trip, and while you're at it stop by and check out the tanks:-) If you decide to come down let me know ahead of time so I can take off work. And even if you aren't gonna go for the altifrons, they have a massive selection right now of Geophagus and eartheaters in general.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video of my 125 with new 'scape   

Back to top Go down

Video of my 125 with new 'scape

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-