Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Ran across this researching Snakeheads. This is local waters. Not so good for the ecosystems. Just figured I would share.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/05/juan-duran-catches-record-breaking-snakehead-fish-76051.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Soon a big mouth bass will be the exotic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 am

I remember when the PetClub on Parham Road was selling snakeheads. In those days they were not illegal but they soon became so. One of the employees there, a friend of mine, took in a snakehead from a customer who no longer wanted the fish - now that it was larger, dangerous, and illegal. Chris accepted the fish back with a view to calling the wildlife and fisheries departments to ask what should be done with the captive fish.

In the meantime, someone who used to work with Chris and who had some kind of grudge against him, turned him in for illegally buying a snakehead. The whole thing was a mess. A newspaper story developed around it and I'll never forget the morning when my husband, while reading the newspaper as he always does, suddenly asked, "Hey isn't this that guy that you know?" Sure enough, the whole story was laid out in the paper but they got much of it wrong as Chris' side was hardly represented. In the end, I think they got it straight but it was embarrassing and troublesome for the guy. Another PetClub employee (also a fish buddy) was called to be a character witness at the hearing.
Wild stuff.

Before the fish became illegal to own and while it was still an exotic, the PetClub kept it (or one just like it) in a display tank which they maintained for the Saxon Shoes store next door. This was a huge, room divider sort of aquarium, I don't know the gallons but it must have been in excess of 1,000.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am

I thought I read somewhere that the Game & Fish dept will pay you for each one you catch. They're a real problem!

View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am

I know at the local bait shop they were talking about that Liz. They claimed Game and Fish would pay you for each dead snake head you brought to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
ovyaker75
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 am

I Think I have to do a fishing trip soon!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:53 pm

@ovyaker75 wrote:
I Think I have to do a fishing trip soon!!!

Yeah Right! Fishing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!   

Back to top Go down

World Record Snake head caught in the Potomic river!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-