Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Richmond Aquarium

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Richmond Aquarium   Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Richmond Aquarium

Address:
3645 Speeks Drive
Midlothian, VA 23112

Phone:
804-276-3474

http://richmondaquarium.com/

Richmond Aquarium stock photo added by Deb.

Does anyone have any experience with this store? I've only been in here once looking for rams. It's mainly a saltwater store and is set up more like a warehouse. i definitely needed help to find the freshwater section through the maze of small rooms. They mainly have cichlids and rainbows with a few other more "exotic" species-no neons! The employee that was around seemed to have no idea how to sex a blue ram but he did tell me that they were being treated for ich and I should wait before buying them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:19 pm

This is a good shop for SW but they have always tried to maintain at least a few FW species, though these tanks are not what they are passionate about! I've been checking on them periodically for nearly 10 years and they continue to keep some FW fish.

If they were closer to me I'd go in there more and support their FW efforts, but it is a bit of a drive. It is the only SW shop in the Richmond area that makes any effort with FW, AFAIK.

View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 am

they are off Speeks drive (off hull st). their website is richmondaquarium.com. they do alot of saltwater maintenance but you can go in and browse too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:32 am

They are pretty nice to do business with. I because of being a little far from me, only go there a couple times a year. They usually have a lot of used tanks for sale and they have a very nice supply of SW fish, corals, and such. They have a FW section that is sometimes a hit or miss. I've only seen some of the usual FW selections. No too many hard to find. Livestock seems healthy and the owner is quite knowledgeable. I have found generally a good place to visit. They have a huge tank (SW) display which is fascinating to go in and see. I forget how many gallon but takes up an entire wall.
They are a maintenance service and new installation but have a nice store also

Melosu58
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I have been to Richmond Aquarium many times. They are mostly SW but do have some FW fish and plants also. On the SW side they have everything to start your hobby including a good tank selection. Also on the equipment side they have everything you need from skimmers to UV to canisters. They have a very large selection of chemicals for the tank including supplements, foods and testing supplies. On the livestock side they have everything from many types of fish to many types of corals to several types of inverts. Scott also has many informational sheets in a rack that will help you to know what you are purchasing. The owner Scott is very knowledgable and helpful.
As I said they do have some FW items but not nearly as many as SW. He does have a good selection of tanks with some fish and supplies also. All in All it`s a great place to go to and one that gets most of my business.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I was at Richmond Aquarium today and had a great time looking around. I found out they can do special orders on equipment, I had picked out a nice stand for the upcoming 75 that matches the rest of my living room out of an online catalog. Just call Mondays and they said its usually there by the end of the week. They had several fish I had not seen before but were beautiful-snakeskin gourami, diamond tetras and skunk loaches. I ended up getting just a few nerite snails.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I haven't seen Snakeskin Gouramis in years. I literally live within walking distance of Richmond Aquarium and have yet to stop by. Hmmm...

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 am

they only had 1 if you're interested
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm

I stopped in there today. They are in the process of expanding the freshwater section. Looking foreward to seeing the progress they make. It will be a while till they are all cycled and up and running though.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Yesterday, Liz and I made the trip to Richmond Aquarium. It was my first visit, but it won't be my last. Even though they are primarily saltwater, they seem to be doing some nice things with freshwater, too. There were a number of plants in a separate plants-only display and they had a few varieties of freshwater shrimps, which is not something everyone has. The freshwater fish seemed ordinary but even so there were a couple of loach species and a hard-to-find banjo catfish. It pays to peer into every tank and ask questions.

I bought two banjo catfish. Bunocephalus colombianus, and one plant called creeping charlie. It was labeled Lindernia sp.
Very Happy

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:31 pm

You should have stopped by and picked up some Least Killifish...

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 am

@Donald wrote:
You should have stopped by and picked up some Least Killifish...

Arrggghh!! We talked about that and meant to ring you up, and totally forgot! Mad

That shop has gotten more FW stock since I was there last, and I was impressed. The SW selection seemed pretty minimal, with a lot of empty tanks, but that may be the time of year. The customers there when we visited were almost all FW, so maybe they're catering to that part of the hobby.

I used to think it was too far of a drive but with 288 it is not bad at all.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Once the weather warms up I'm going to ride over to there in my wheelchair. Pretty exciting to have a LFS within walking distance of my home.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Richmond Aquarium   

Back to top Go down

Richmond Aquarium

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-