Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PinkNinja
CVASMember

PostSubject: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Hello all!
I need HELP! Sad

For about 3 weeks I've noticed my yellow cichlid not eating and having something in it's mouth.
So I caught it and put it in one of those plastic breeding containers during lunch today to take a closer look because after googline online all the sites said that it was "holding" eggs and should be ready to come out in about 3 - 4 weeks. It's been about 3 weeks and it was still not eating so I wanted to see if I could see any eggs. I really couldn't tell for sure even with a closer look.

HOWEVER, after work when I came home I saw that it spat out some of it's eggs!
I think I stressed it out when I put it in the plastic breeding container. Sad

SO then I let the mother go back in the main tank and took the eggs I thought were still okay and quickly made a crappy egg tumbler from googling it really quickly tonite.

I wanted to ask you guys directly what I should be doing now...

A few questions:

1. Some of the eggs looked like they were broken open not completely ina round ball but I didn't really see any head or tail either. Some eggs were REALLY small balls. Are those conditions still good eggs? I threw away the white ones and gray ones. Kept the yellowish tan ones.

2. How long should I let it "tumble" for? And is my "tumbling action" too strong? (See you tube video link below.)

3. When I let the mother back in the main tank, I saw it spit out an egg and then swallow it back so I think she's actualy holding more and didn't spit them all out. I have others in the tank that will eat the eggs so was wondering

What kind of plants should I put in there that will help the fry survive?

Here's a pic of the eggs if anyone can tell me if they think they're good or not.

Here's a link to the youtube video of the tumbler i made quickly tonite. Any advice appreciated!! I've only had a tank for a 6 months anf its my 1st time owning fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm

I think it was a swift idea to create your own egg tumbler, looks great in the video the action sems to look normal, all you have to do now is set back and wait to see what happens. KGtropicals has the most experiance here on this i will shoot him a pm and see if there is more you can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 pm

For future events, unless you like doing the egg tumbler, just leave the holding mothers in the main tank until the 17-19th day of holding. The warmer the tank is the less time it takes in my experience. Then we breech the mouth by holding the lower lip down and with a turkey baster flush the fry out.

The fry are free swimming by now and will eat almost as soon as you place them into the new tank.

Other notes, if they spit some eggs it's generally because they are not fertilized. But in you case it maybe stress induced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PinkNinja
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Darn now all of them are whiteishy except 1 egg. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Sorry to hear, if this was the first spawn I wouldn't be to concerned. Before you know it, you will have an extra hundred or so fry Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:19 pm

It happens, i just had apisto pandouro female spwan and had about 30 eggs and she eat them 2 days later, second time she has done it. Now i have to play the waiting game for them to respawn then try a diffrent approach to keeping the eggs untill free swimmers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PinkNinja
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Boo. None hatched. Fail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Quote :
Boo. None hatched. Fail.

sorry to hear that, hopefully you will be succesful next time around. I think you did a great job under the circumstances, ecspecialy making your own egg tumbler.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?   

Back to top Go down

HELP! Yellow Cichlid spat out eggs prematurely! What do I do?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-