Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

What fish have the best cash return when breeding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: What fish have the best cash return when breeding?    Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 pm

ive bred lots of fish before, but never for money. in the past, i have bred many fish, but i usually enjoyed the triumph of it, and just gave them away. back then the internet was just for adult entertainment, but now it is popular and there are a lot of new avenues to check out. i started thinking about this when i saw an apisto on aquabid for $25, and i remember some other places selling certain apistos for $30-$40. i thought harem breeders so 1 male to 3 or 4 females, 50-100 spawn each. thats not terrible. ive never put a fishtank in my asset column before. it sounds fun! so i was wondering what any of your experiences were on breeding and selling fish, where you had the best luck selling them, and/or what species you think would bring the most cash if successfully bred?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: What fish have the best cash return when breeding?    Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am

Angels and bettas, especially when you can identify the genetic makeup (for angels, +/g - +/a - +/pb : Silver means you've got a silver angel with gold, albino and blue genes). People will pay top dollar for a pair that is likely to produce a specific color, in other words.

When I was breeding angels the LFS could not get enough gold ones, but it depends on your market. If you're breeding to sell to the LFS you can ask them what's "hot" and what they'd like to see more of.

You have to invest some time and money into a real breeding operation (fish room) and get a reputation before you'd start making your money back, but that's just an assumption on my part.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: What fish have the best cash return when breeding?    Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 am

Check out John's set-up:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t396-garage-video

I wonder what kind of set-up folks like Marty have?
(Marty is an area supplier of selected fish to Azalea Aquariums, and maybe other LFSs.)

ianjones
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: What fish have the best cash return when breeding?    Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:32 pm

i really like the idea that something so easy to breed can bring good returns like that. calling some LFSs is on my list of things to do for certain, but i also wanted to get some input from hobbyists as well. the more info i have to sift through the better Smile

deb and liz, may i ask what makes angels and bettas your choices? i was surprised at how prolific the bettas were if you just left them alone. the male and his 3 females outbreed all the livebearers in the tank put together! while the babies are good nutrition for my houseplants, id imagine grow out can get complicated once the males start getting saucy. do you think it would be more advantageous to use positive eugenics to breed for certain colorations (and deal with the inconsistencies of dominant and recessive genes) or would it be more advantageous to breed something that is a bit rarer and that people will pay decent money for, even if they dont have any specific deformations?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What fish have the best cash return when breeding?    

Back to top Go down

What fish have the best cash return when breeding?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-