Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

My fish caught the ich.....uggg

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:13 am

So yeah, after all my mess with cycling over the past few weeks, this morning I come down to see the indisputable signs of ich on my tetras.

I am raising the temp to 86 and adding some salt.

However, I have the sneaking suspicion that this is going to be a thing where all the fish bite the dust and then I have to wait a week before anything else goes in.

If my cycle does complete during this time and i need to keep the bacteria fed with ammonia....how much do people generally add to a 55 gallon tank?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 am

I doubt you will lose your livestock, you have already done the most important thing to battle ich and that is to raise that temp, I have never lost a fish to ich.

I would suggest 25% water changes every day to keep the ammonia from building up so much.

I have some used filter media, if you want to make the trip to Fredericksburg one afternoon this week i can give it to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

For the ammonia, you can go with the API quick start and virtually eliminate cycling a tank the old fashion way. This stuff works very well and is available at the chain stores.

As for ich, I had great success using the salt and temp method. Like leanback, no fish loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am

The ammonia coming out the tap water makes water changes counter productive. The water supply uses chloromines as a treatment, which is a chemical bond of chlorine and ammonia. Out of the faucet it tests positive for 2ppm ammonia.

When I do a water change I add a double dose of Prime which releases the bond between the chlorine and ammonia, and de-chlorinates the water, however it does leave the ammonia byproduct. I killed some fish and made my problem worse by doing massive water changes daily before I had properly tested the water. I need to wait until the bacteria is mature and then do smaller 10%-25% water changes so that the total tank ammonia is only .25 and the bacteria can keep up.

The API quickstart is very similar to the Start Smart Complete, and I am using that right now, and i think its finally starting to cycle but I need to give it a minimum of 10 days to do its thing and I am on day 5 right now and I need to test the water tonight to see how things are coming.

I hope the salt and tempertaute kill the ich, I will cross my fingers. I didnt plan on adding any more chemicals.

Thanks for the offer of active filter media, if things are not looking like I want by the end of the week, I would love to take you up on that offer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am

I haven't heard of smart start, but also don't know of every product on the market. The API virtually worked over night for me. Also John at KGT had used it to start up several new tanks and had similar results.

As for Prime, you probably all ready know, but if you don't: that if using the product its recommended to wait 24rs before taking ammonia readings. Otherwise it will give you an ammonia reading.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 am

Thats good info, thanks!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:49 am

Prime detoxifies ammonia for fish but does not make it unavailable to bacteria.

Most of us have chloramines in our water, if we're on any kind of municipal system.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My fish caught the ich.....uggg   

Back to top Go down

My fish caught the ich.....uggg

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-