Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Endangered/Extinct Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ric
CVASMember

PostSubject: Endangered/Extinct Fish   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 am

Hello all, and thank you for reading my post!

I am a middle school Science teacher in Hanover County schools. My students and I are hoping to raise and breed extinct in the wild species of fish. The most up to date list of endangered or extinct in the wild fish can be found here So that it is easier for the students (and me) to feel/see success, I would like to focus our attention on livebearers and maybe some smaller cichlids.

We currently have some Ameca splendens in a 29g tank, but we still have another 29 g, a 55g, and three 10g aquariums that just "need" to be filled. I would love to teach my students that they can have a local impact on a global problem.

My plan is to raise them in the classroom the share them more throughout the hobby, with my absolute pipe dream to send them back to their native environment.

My request is does anybody out there in fellow fish geek worl d have any of these fish in their collection? I could trade some Ameca splendens later after they breed. Please let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youtube.com/mrsciencegeek
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Endangered/Extinct Fish   Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

I am currently keeping Ptyochromis sp. Hippo Point ‘salmon’ it is a smaller lake Victorian cichlid on the cares list. I can donate 1 male and 3 females if you are intrested. They would do great in a 29g tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Endangered/Extinct Fish   Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Great project and way to get kids excited and involved. Sorry I do not have any fish on endangered list yet. If things continue to get worse in Africa with proposed power plants, expansion, habitat reduction and so on I may have some in future.
Good luck with the project and please keep us informed of your success.

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Endangered/Extinct Fish   Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Water management projects in Brazil and Bolivia will unfortunately add species to the C.A.R.E.S list in the near future.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Endangered/Extinct Fish   

Back to top Go down

Endangered/Extinct Fish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-