Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Greetings from the West End!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey everyone! Donald in Midlothian introduced me to the forum and I wanted to say hi! I currently have a 30g hexagon tank in my home office. It has a custom made vertical coral insert, black tahitian moon sand, standard lighting and filtration (VHO:LED /biowheel plus power head). It houses two black tiger oscars, two yellow labidochromis and one pleco. My big project is really the highlight and a huge thanks to Donald for setting me up with a lot of needed parts! I have two built in book cases in my den that just so happen to have the perfect space in between for a 55g. Tank stand was recently painted to match the book cases and the tank is in place. I just completed a custom LED Moonlighting system with variable voltage regulator, rebuilt the 48" fluorescent double strip light, and purchased the filtration systems from yes you guessed it, Donald! Planning on using one biowheel 330B and one penguin 280 plus two powerheads. Only a few more odds and ends to get like the substrate and saving my pennies for one of Universal Habitats 3d backgrounds. A lot more work to go but I am getting close to having it up and running.

Cheers!

Josh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Welcome jmckinley. Great to have you. Looks like an awesome set up and the one to come is going to be as well. Looking forward to hearing and seeing pics of the process through completion.
We are having a meeting soon (11/11/12) Hope you get a chance to come and meet some great fellow hobbiests. We have a great forum and members whao are interested in your projects, and more than willing to provide help and advice as you may need.
Ron

jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Picture of the 55g in progress...

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/87/88/01/55_den11.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Welcome to te forum jmckinley,

I love the black tahitian moon sand, ihad it in my first 55g tank it was the best looking substrate i have ever used. If it wasnt so darn expensive i would have it in all my tanks.

the 55g in between the 2 shelves is pretty sweet placment, what are your stocking plans for the 55g?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:21 pm

@jmckinley wrote:
Picture of the 55g in progress...

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/87/88/01/55_den11.jpg
Wow, that's going to be awesome. I would never get any work done in my office.

jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey leanback! Thanks for the kind words, I have not really thought too much about stocking the 55g yet because of all the work that has gone into the accesories and set up. Maybe one or two species of cichlids, something to keep it uniform and clean. I have had everything from red belly pirhanas to red snake heads over the past 15 years but really want to make this a show quality tank....any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks Ron!!! hopefully it turns out half as nice as the time invested in it already. I am really excited about the 55g and am putting my years of experience into every aspect of it, I cant wait to see the finished tank under the custom moonlighting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Quote :
any ideas?

lol soooooo many choices, what were you thinking of, planted community, all male hap and peacock tank ( one trip to KGtropicals will have you convinced), new world cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Welcome, jmckinley! cheers Any friend of Donald is a friend of mine!
The placement of the new 55 between the bookcases is a great idea. Your guests will be in awe! Is that a little dog near the coffee table?

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am

Welcome! Wish I had a nice location for a tank like that in my living room- very cool between the bookshelves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 am

@Deb wrote:
Welcome, jmckinley! cheers Any friend of Donald is a friend of mine!
The placement of the new 55 between the bookcases is a great idea. Your guests will be in awe! Is that a little dog near the coffee table?

Good eye! That is our 4lb yorkie named Nigel, we also have a chocolate lab named Jackson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Josh - WELCOME to CVAS!

You can see the excitement in your post on your 55 and that is really cool.

The tank looks great in between the bookcases, it's the focal point of the room which is what a tank should be!

I can relate to your desire for a 3D Background, I love those and spent about two hours the other night looking at prefab and DIY options.

Hope to see more posts as your 55 develops and maybe we'll see you in a couple of weeks at the meeting.

jmckinley
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:11 pm

@thegundog wrote:
Josh - WELCOME to CVAS!

You can see the excitement in your post on your 55 and that is really cool.

The tank looks great in between the bookcases, it's the focal point of the room which is what a tank should be!

I can relate to your desire for a 3D Background, I love those and spent about two hours the other night looking at prefab and DIY options.

Hope to see more posts as your 55 develops and maybe we'll see you in a couple of weeks at the meeting.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!! I have to be honest about the 3d backgrounds, I have fabricated a number of them in all shapes and sizes and I have found that it never really turns out exactly how I want it. Always turns out looking good but not the professional look that I am investing my time in. Also impossible to clean and touch up from the eventual chip pr two. I have a ton of good resources on DIY backgrounds and prefabs if you need a push in the right direction or some advice. The two best prefab options i have found are universal habitats (a few can be purchased at drsforstersmith.com) and Designs by nature. Both have insane detail and color and the universal habitats backgrounds are super durable and really flexible (handy for 55g and up with the centerbrace). Good luck on your designs!!!!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 pm

[/quote] Thanks for the encouragement!!!! I have to be honest about the 3d backgrounds, I have fabricated a number of them in all shapes and sizes and I have found that it never really turns out exactly how I want it. Always turns out looking good but not the professional look that I am investing my time in. Also impossible to clean and touch up from the eventual chip pr two. I have a ton of good resources on DIY backgrounds and prefabs if you need a push in the right direction or some advice. The two best prefab options i have found are universal habitats (a few can be purchased at drsforstersmith.com) and Designs by nature. Both have insane detail and color and the universal habitats backgrounds are super durable and really flexible (handy for 55g and up with the centerbrace). Good luck on your designs!!!! Cheers![/quote]

Some of the DIY designs I've seen had a material list as long as the Mississippi, so with the potential cost for materials, the time invested and the fact I know I would never be satisfied (I'm just too stinking picky) with a DIY one.

The Design By Natures are on the top of my list, I'll have to check out the other site.

I have an empty (that's not good) 4 foot 120 gallon 24 inch wide tank, because of the width I think a 3D background would be awesome - it wouldn't eat up my tank width once installed.

The prefab models are a little pricey, so like you - I gotta save a few more dollars.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the West End!!!   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from the West End!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-