Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

growth on cardinal tetra

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: growth on cardinal tetra   Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

I noticed a small buldge on one side of a cardinal about two weeks ago. It is within his blue line and he was otherwise fine. I have just been watching him and it is slowly growing but now it looks more like a wart/papilloma. He is still acting and eating fine. All the others in the tank look normal. Do fish get tumors and do you think that is what it is? Or is it likely something contagious and should I get him out of the tank? I did a treatment of API general cure just in case since I did have an issue a few months ago with internal parasites (was treated). Tank parameters are 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, 7 ph and temp at 80.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Not sure what this is. If you have a hospital tank I think I would quickly place it in there. Since you can tell it's growing could be infectious and wipe your tank out. Is there discoloration. sores, redness, etc. and etc? Unable to determine to much but in my past it does not take too much to wipe out a community tank especially cardinals and neons. At very least I would treat with both Melafix and Pimafix together. Very good products.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Here's a good picture I got of the affected cardinal. After looking online, it most resembles lymphocytosis. Does anyone have experience with this? Online, most everyone says it is self-limiting and usually not fatal but contagious. At this point, I would assume everyone in the tank is infected and I hope no one else becomes clinical. I can treat the tank with melafix in case of any secondary bacterial infection.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I have no experiance with it but it looks gnarly, good luck with treating and i hope the other tank mates dont get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 am

Did you isolate the affected fish?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:00 pm

First I'm impressed with the picture. Due to the continual darting and swimming of Tetras in general you took quite a good pic. Here is a web site that may help you identify your Cardinals problem. http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification_1.html#Lymphocystis
I think, however, it would still be a good idea to isolate him/her to prevent further possible spreading to it's tank mates.
Good Luck!
Hope it's not serious and gets better soon.
Ron

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:08 pm

My 10 gallon currently has platy fry so there's no isolating him until I can find homes for the fry. And tonight I noticed the female emperor tetra is starting with the same growth. Both fish are otherwise acting fine so I'm hesitant to remove them from the tank because, in my situation, that would mean euthanizing them. From everything I've been reading, a lot of fish can clear this on their own. I just found a great article from University of Florida http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa181 that seems to suggest I should just keep the water pristine and in a few weeks things should have run its course. (And if I had a tank of danios, I wouldn't have this issue!-apparently they are resistant)

Ron, that took some effort to get that shot, I'm still trying to figure out my new camera but thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 am

Re: old post about cardinal tetra.

Ryland - Just wondering - how did this turn out? Did you lose the affected fish? Did the condition spread? Were you able to identify the ailment to your satisfaction and did you apply an effective treatment?

It would be interesting to know how things turned out for the "archives" and I apologize if you posted elsewhere about it and I missed it!
Very Happy

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Deb, thanks for checking up on this little guy. I do feel it was lymphocytosis and only the two fish ever showed any growths. The cardinal's growth waxed and waned until it seemed to get a secondary fungal infection. At that point, I euthanized him for the sake of the others. That was about 2 months after I first noticed the growth and he had been acting fine throughout. The emperor (my female!) quickly went downhill with dropsy and was euthanized within a week of the first sign of a growth. I ended up not treating the tank with anything since I figured it was viral- just kept up the twice weekly water changes. No one else has shown any signs.

I am still looking for some female emperors, my two boys need something to do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 am

I'm glad your fish loss was light. Not medicating the tank was a very wise decision. Especially as choosing what to use might have been difficult.

Years ago, out of the blue, one of my Pristella tetras developed a small growth like the one in your photo, except the bump was smooth and did not have cauliflower aspects to it. She was one of a group of four and none of the others developed anything. No other fish in the tank was affected. I did nothing and continued to maintain the tank as usual. She lived on with her bump for another year and a half, which added up to an average life span, all told. Thinking back, I believe the bump was the empty cyst of a parasite which did not develop properly. I say that because its appearance never changed for the life of the fish. Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: growth on cardinal tetra   

Back to top Go down

growth on cardinal tetra

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-