Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

List of concerns/questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: List of concerns/questions   Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Now that I have everything established and cycled, I can delve into less critial questions.

#1 - Many of the ornaments in my tank are hollow. I hate that! Is this OK for fish? I find that in some cases fish will go deep and around bends and get lost in there...miss out on feedings, etc. Also I never get to see them. In an extreme case, the clown pleco was down in one of the legs of the pagoda and I didnt think he was going to make it out. Are any of my concerns valid, and does anyone battle with the same thing?

#2 - The clown Pleco eating. I know they are nocturnal, but I never see this guy eating. The tetras, and barbs, and corycats in the tank dont let food sit for long, even the sinking algae rounds. I have also sunk zuchinni and cucumber for hours at a time and I never see the pleco eat. Is there anything I can do to help this pleco get his lunch?

#3 - Schooling - The tiger barbs, glo-light tetras, and peppered cory cats school together nicely, but the Julii Cories and black neon tetras dont school together much at all. Is this any cause for concern?

#4 - The Opaline Gourami is always pooping. Almost everytime I go to the tank the gourami has a 3" line of poo that he drags around like a banner from a plane at the beach. Is this normal?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 pm

1. There may be differing viewpoints about hollow decorations but it's true that some fish may become trapped in them and die. My cousins old Jack Dempsey (it was ten years old) got trapped in one and died. It was a decoration that had been in the tank for years. The Jack grew, but no one expected it to get too big for the decorations. I think they just did not consider the option of it happening.

Your clown pleco getting down in the leg like that is a concern. It's very difficult to get them out of tight places and if they feel threatened they will wedge themselves in in even further. I have a 75 gallon full of clown plecos:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t588-my-wood-eating-plecos-panaque-maccus
As you can see in the pix, it's full of wood. Do you have any wood in the tank for your clown pleco? I realize you have only one of this fish but get him a nice piece of wood if you can. Set it up at the back and let him make a den for himself.

2. Clown plecos eat many things and are not strict vegetarians. They do eat wood, which is why it's a good idea to have some wood in the tank. I believe you said in another post that you had some Veggie Rounds wafers. This would be a good staple diet for him. Once he establishes a den, feed him after lights out. One or two wafers is plenty. A veggie like the ones you mentioned are very good, too, a couple of times a week. Sometimes you have to offer a food a few times before the fish realizes it's food. However, there is always the possibility that your clown pleco doesn't like fresh veggies. If that's the case, soak some veggie flakes in aquarium water and then target feed them to him after lights out.

3. How many julii corys do you have?

Quote :
#4 - The Opaline Gourami is always pooping. Almost everytime I go to the tank the gourami has a 3" line of poo that he drags around like a banner from a plane at the beach. Is this normal?
I have no idea but *lol* to the banner!

Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Quote :
#1 - Many of the ornaments in my tank are hollow. I hate that! Is this OK for fish? I find that in some cases fish will go deep and around bends and get lost in there...miss out on feedings, etc. Also I never get to see them. In an extreme case, the clown pleco was down in one of the legs of the pagoda and I didnt think he was going to make it out. Are any of my concerns valid, and does anyone battle with the same thing?

I hate hollow decorations as well, your concern here is valid, i myself have gotten away from expensive pet store deco and now using plants, driftwood and rock work for my tanks seems to give it a more natural look.

Quote :
#2 - The clown Pleco eating. I know they are nocturnal, but I never see this guy eating. The tetras, and barbs, and corycats in the tank dont let food sit for long, even the sinking algae rounds. I have also sunk zuchinni and cucumber for hours at a time and I never see the pleco eat. Is there anything I can do to help this pleco get his lunch?

I leave the Zuchini in over night my plecos usally dont take to it untill night fall i wake up and see the rhine floating around. Also they do eat bio film that you cant see.
Quote :
#3 - Schooling - The tiger barbs, glo-light tetras, and peppered cory cats school together nicely, but the Julii Cories and black neon tetras dont school together much at all. Is this any cause for concern?

How many of each species do you have? there might not be enough to encourage schooling.

Quote :

Some fish that i have kept were the same way always had a string O poo hanging, i am not sure if it is a bad thing or not hopefully someone can answer this one for the both of us.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:00 pm

That was going to be a follow up question....I hear that leaving food in the tank too long can be bad. Plus my ravenous tiger barbs gorge themselves silly on anything in the tank. Is leaving a cucumber overnight a good idea? Maybe some other veggie treat?

Also what kind of wood do you used and where do you get it?

There are 3 Julii Cory and 4 Peppered Cory.

Another analogy is the gourami stringing his poo on my decorations like tinsel on a christmas tree.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Sounds like your fish are doing okay. Your Pleco is eating something even if you don't see him. Otherwise by this time he/she would have gone to Fishy Heaven. If your not seeing signs as either Liz or Deb who sent you pics once prior, I don't think you have to much to worry over.
I do not believe leaving cucumber, and other veggies in the tank overnight will do much harm. You have plants in there that don't harm fish. If veggies getting soft or mushy then remove.
I too have been concerned about hollow ornaments. I have had fish mysteriously disappear in my tank and my only guess was stuck somewhere in an ornament.
I would not be to alarmed over your Neons and Cory's not schooling. They know when danger is possible and will probably seek "safety in numbers" when occurs. Even though they are schoolers, the other fish mentioned are IMO tighter.
Your Gourami becoming a kite, is probably okay to. It's been to many years since I've owned them to remember their waste patterns. Some fish are a little more waste machines than others.
I believe in checking all my fish daily and observe their patterns, personalities, and behaviors. When I see something unusual then I worry, and try to correct.
You have the hard part over now and relax a bit and enjoy.

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

At least you know your gourami is eating well! I have a platy with those habits and she is the biggest pig in the tank (which is why she got her own tank-so the others could get their fair share). I like the tinsel analogy-very oddly appropriate.

My emperor tetras do not school unless they get startled-I'm assuming they feel comfortable enough to explore on their own. My 5 peppered cories generally do their own thing too unless they are resting then they loosely group together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I have had some fish deaths from the hollow ornaments, with the most notable being a large BN pleco.

I agree with the other comments above, and will add that many "schooling" fish that we keep don't truly school, especially in the smaller numbers we keep them in for our tanks, though they would school in groups of 50-100+ that they might have in the wild. There are some species that DO school, but most tetras won't travel around together in a group- no worries. My Denison's barbs definitely do stay together all the time, but my tetras don't, even in the 150 where I have close to 20 of them.

Also, the stringy clinging poo can indicate internal parasites, or otherwise an intestinal issue similar to constipation. If the gourami will eat it in the presence of the barbs, try putting split blanched peas in the tank at feeding time. If the gourami will eat some of the pea it will likely help with the poo thing. I use frozen green peas and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds, then remove the hull, and you've got the two halves that go in the tank (cooled, of course).

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Also, to answer ddavis' earlier question about wood, this thread started by Russ might help:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t822-want-to-add-some-wood-to-my-tank#7861

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:24 pm

THanks for all that. I did some tank renovations tonight, I took out the hollow decorations, and found some mopani drift that I added. Will take some pics later. Did a water change and things are coming along.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:33 am

With the hollow decorations I say get rid of them.
This is an angel that I just got rid of, he was chasing a neon tetra around and the tetra swam through this decoration and the angel got stuck. It was pretty funny but he was stuck!! I had to snip the decoration with a par of dykes to get him out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 am

Amazing tale of misfortune, but what's more amazing is that you thought to document the situation with photos! I'm glad you happened to see this happen and could get him out.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:42 pm

What are dykes and how did you avoid injuring the angel?

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 pm

@Deb wrote:
What are dykes and how did you avoid injuring the angel?
I can not upload the photo since I am at work but here is a link to what they look like.
http://gamerabaenre.com/images/dykes.jpg

They are basically cutters. I carefully snipped the larger side off to get a better snipping point/ view of where I was cutting. I did this all under the water so the fish was not as stressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Okay, I see what they are! Once, I had a catfish get entangled in the black roots of a Java fern. I had to use nail scissors and a rubbermaid tub full of aquarium water. It was very stressful for both of us!

Your photo essay above is a useful instructional tool to us all. Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: List of concerns/questions   

Back to top Go down

List of concerns/questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-