Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

I have had 4 cory cat deaths in the past 48 hours. One was a large green cory cat that was in rough shape at the pet shop. Two were Julii Cory Cats that were very small and looked to have some redish gills from the pet store.

However, the last one was a peppered Cory and it lost its whole tail. I didnt think I got it from the store in that bad of shape, but I also dont think anything in my tank was capable of that level of destruction.

One more peppered Cory Cat is alive, but has some signs of damage. Is this fin rot? Would fin rot be able to consume a whole tail in a few days? What do you think this is? You can also see top half of tail is eroded.

Any clues would help?

I did dose the whole tank with Melafix. I used a little less than the recommended dosing and my whole house smells of peppermint and tea leaves. Seems a bt extreme.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

ddavis -

Check out this thread

It's a site that provides potential identification of problem based on at least two entries of symptons.

Give it look, hopefully it will help with pointing you in the right direction and you can get it under control.

Cute little fella you got there - hopefully he will recover.

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 am

pretty cool site, all signs point to fin rot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:03 pm

just from the picture you posted, it also looks similar to a columnaris outbreak in my original cardinal school. They had a similar saddle-shaped white lesion on their back at the fin base with death soon after. I lost all of those cardinals within a week so I hope yours truly is fin rot and not columnaris!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 pm

What ever it was it killed him over night. The spot on the head and dorsal in the morning looked like a crater in the skin and the white was gone. so either the bacteria ate the flesh, or the barbs did.

No other fish showing signs of it right now, I will keep an eye out and hopefully the melafix will do its job.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

The way I add it up, five corys have died over the last few days which means two should still be alive. Is that right? And are these last two healthy?

If they are and you are thinking of adding more corys at some point, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.

If you just want to go ahead with the two remaining, then I would say try to keep an eye on the rainbow shark. Make sure he is not harassing them, i.e., forcing them to move from place to place, dodging at them as if to pick at their barbels, etc. I realize you can't watch the tank all the time, but take a look a few times in the evening if you can, and see what the dynamic is.

Also, in your signature you list 2 Chinese algae eaters. These are also aggressive cyprinids, or can be. Once they grow out of their cute algae-eating baby stage, they will eat very little algae and cause you some problems. With three potentially aggressive, bottom-dwelling cyprinids in the tank, I can see why the corys might be on edge. This particular mix of Asian and South American fish might not be a good idea, overall. Just IMO.

Something has caused this outbreak of disease, regardless of what it is. The obvious reasons (poor water conditions, for example) don't seem to apply here. Therefore, we have to ask if stress is playing a role. Stress from an aggressive fish and stress from living on large gravel. These will be things to look at if you are considering adding more corys in the future. Very Happy

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 am

I am convinced that the cories came from the pet store with a death timer already started.

I purchased 5 cories from the same pet store and two cories from a different pet store.

The 5 that died all died with similar rot and fin degeneration, while the two that came from elsewhere have thrived. Also the other cories at the store that I did not buy, also mostly passed away in the store. I am convinced that someone returned a batch of green cories that had been eaten up in an aggressive tank and got infected, then spread that to the other fish in the store when returned.

I have replaced the cories, and right now I have 6 peppered cories and 1 Julii Cory and all of them have looked healthy for several days now. Oddly enough the Rainbow Shark and Algae eaters leave the cories alone so far. The Tiger barbs are the fin nippers in the tank and they seem to relish in bugging the cories more than anything else. But there are plenty of hiding spots that they take advantage of when the barbs are being bullies.

The rainbow shark chases the barbs a lot, but because the barbs are bullies and fast, I dont mind it at all. The Shark also chases the algae eaters some, but it doesnt seem like a stressfull situation right now.

I am raising the algae eaters temporarily for a friend, and when they are ready I will transfer them and get some Ottos to replace.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

I have to agree with Deb. I think you have some very aggressive fish in there that are perhaps causing your Cory's stress. Algae eaters are aggressive even with each other. Your shark, especially as he/she grows will get more aggressive with peace loving fish like your Cory's. Remember, fish instinctively know who are there enemies. While they are bigger than their enemies they try to eliminate their problem. As their enemies increase in size and numbers the reverse begins to occur. In the whole process, they are always vigilant and thus stressed. Stressed fish are very prone to many diseases which will keep you banging your head against the wall trying to remedy, and disappointed with mortality.
IMO only, I would rehome some of your issues. Either decide to keep aggressive fish who can fend off similar aggressive fish, or keep peace loving fish paired together.
If your thinking at all of rehoming some Pet Shops will give you credit for fish that don't get along toward other compatible fish. If not post on Forum and on Craigslist. You should not have too much difficulty with rehoming.
You've got a lot of time and money wrapped up so far, and I would hate to see you get frustrated with the hobby and give up.
Good Luck,
Ron

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I would not give up on the hobby.

I like Corydoras for what they do for the tank and keeping the bottom cleaner. But not as much as I like my Rainbow Shark. I love that fish.

I will keep a close eye, but right now there dont seem to be issues between those guys. Every issue in the tank, as far as aggression goes, seems to center around the tiger barbs.

But if I do give up, I will give up on keeping cory cats. I will have to figure something else out, and re-home those guys if I see too much stress going on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?   

Back to top Go down

Cory Cats Dropping like flies - fin rot?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-