Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

What's you favorite fish that you've never kept?

For me, right now, it's Victorian Cichlids

I'm still kicking myself in the a%$ for not buying those FULU's listed on here a few months back, but I couldn't house 40 new fish.....

I need to get over being so responsible.... Smile

Your wish fish please....

AuthorMessage
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 pm

@Donald wrote:
Quote :
and about those carpintis, there are some in animal jungle right now! great time to come get some!

Don't tell me that. I'll be planning a road trip. You don't see them available often or at least I don't. Laughing
We received a very impressive female Carpintis this after noon at AJ. The guy was rehoming here because she kept spawning with his male.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

@Flippercon wrote:
@Donald wrote:
Quote :
and about those carpintis, there are some in animal jungle right now! great time to come get some!

Don't tell me that. I'll be planning a road trip. You don't see them available often or at least I don't. Laughing
We received a very impressive female Carpintis this after noon at AJ. The guy was rehoming here because she kept spawning with his male.

She kept spawning and that was a bad thing? lol I'm couple months away from such a project but at least I know where to start looking. Sounds like AJ is able to get them. Like I alluded to before, I don't see them here in Richmond very often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krislewis3
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:36 pm

by mpowers on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 am
Discus and just about any salt water fish....although the recent article in amazon has me reconsidering discus, might not be as time consuming as I

After many years of fish keeping, I took the plunge 2 years ago, and set up a discus tank. I love it!!!! You can go on the 'simply discus' forum and get all the information, and help you need from the folks at that forum. Good luck with your choice. Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sbane5001
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 pm

They sell discus at he Chester petco... $45+ a pop!

Blue platy & Endler Breeder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 am

Discus, Discus, Discus, Discus, Discus, Discus, Discus, and Discus... bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Mandarin dragonets, seahorses, Vaillanti chocolate gourami.

Here's a new question: What fish were you most excited to get for the first time, and then most disappointed with a few months or a year later?

answer: Discus, Discus, Discus, and Discus...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm

TBH - and I feel sort of guilty about it - I did not enjoy the native pygmy sunfish very much.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:45 pm

LOL - whenever I sell or give away pygmy sunfish I tell the would-be owner they may not see them very much, unless they sit perfectly still for 10 minutes waiting for them to appear. But I'm a little surprised that someone who enjoys banjo cats would say this!

@Deb wrote:
TBH - and I feel sort of guilty about it - I did not enjoy the native pygmy sunfish very much.  
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:15 pm

@gerald wrote:
LOL - But I'm a little surprised that someone who enjoys banjo cats would say this!
LOL!

With the sunfish, it was the constant hovering that got to me.  There was so much tension.  On top of that, feeding them live food got to be a drag.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 am

@gerald wrote:

Here's a new question:  What fish were you most excited to get for the first time, and then most disappointed with a few months or a year later?  
Honestly, I've never been dis-appointed with fish purchases - however adding something to the question from a different perspective:

I have been very disappointed that a few species were not able to exist in my Malawi Hap/Peacock set up.

I purchased a male Ruby Green Victorian from Rama, added him to the tank and within a month he developed bloat and passed. So I added a second, also from Rama, same thing. When the males colored up they were just unbelievable, best looking fish in the tank and were green in color as opposed to the yellow and blues found in many species of the Haps/Peacocks. They added so much to the tank...

When Mark was still in business at Cichlid Solutions I purchased a male Flavescent Peacock, also for my male set up - same results as the Ruby Green.

Lesson learned is that these fish are too timid for an all male hap/peacock set up and as a result they became stressed and developed bloat.

So I wasn't dis-appointed in the fish themselves, but rather the fact that I would not be able to keep these species in my set up.

Last edited by thegundog on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:03 am

favorite fish I've never kept: dwarf flag cichlid, I think I'll be trying these when I no longer have the rams (they always look like they are smiling)

most disappointing: glass catfish, they are just too shy and my aquascaping gives them too many good hiding places. I never see them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 pm

@gerald wrote:

Here's a new question:  What fish were you most excited to get for the first time, and then most disappointed with a few months or a year later?  

answer:   Discus, Discus, Discus, and Discus...  
Hey this is getting to be a cool thread in its own right...bounce

I would have to say Pearl Gourami. I know that my tank setup has a lot to do with that... I use two HOB filters on my show tank and surface current prevented mating behavior. Compared to Angelfish they seemed boring. I know that it is all about personal preference but that's mine. shrug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:21 pm

I would say Apistos and Rams. I can keep them alive for 2-3 years tops. And they never seem to play nice with their tankmates no matter what setup I have tried.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:31 pm

@Donald wrote:
I would say Apistos and Rams. I can keep them alive for 2-3 years tops. And they never seem to play  nice with their tankmates no matter what setup I have tried.
I don't know that their natural life spans are much longer.

I haven't had issues with pairs in small tanks, but I haven't tried them in communities much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Fish That You've Never Kept?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-