Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Seachem Black Onyx

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Seachem Black Onyx   Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 pm

What's the feeling/opinions on this substrate? I'm considering a substrate change for a 55 gal freshwater planted tank. Anything to know about suitability for Corys or other bottom feeding species? It appears to be a bit finer than Flourite, and I like the black color. Thanks in advance for all opinions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Seachem Black Onyx   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 am

It doesn't look as fine as I would like for corys. Why not just go with the black flourite sand?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Seachem Black Onyx   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 am

Probably best- where can I get black flourite sand? Is this something that Seachem sells? I've also heard that pool filter sand is good. I may just set up another tank with it, if I can find one here soon. If that's the case, I'll move the cories to the new tank, if I still have them. I'm not married to black as a color in the new tank. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Seachem Black Onyx   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:16 am

Yes seachem makes it. You can find it at just about any major hobby online stores like Drs foster and smith.
The reason I say black flourite is because you said it was a planted tank. Pool filter sand is one of my favorite cheap substrates but I have never used it in a planted tank alone. Maybe someone else has experience with pfs in planted tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Seachem Black Onyx   Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Black would look awesome against your albino cories.....

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seachem Black Onyx   

Back to top Go down

Seachem Black Onyx

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-