Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Angel spawn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Angel spawn   Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 am

Here's a bit of video of the new pair of wild cross angels in the 125 Buddha tank. These fish are young - only about 3" from nose to tail, but they seem to be minding their eggs pretty well on the valisneria. There are two leaves with eggs on them, side by side. There are 5 other angels from the same batch in this tank, plus Denison's barbs, otocinclus and a single orphan black neon.

I was talking to Rick's surgeon yesterday and about dropped the phone when I saw the eggs on the plant! I just had to get a quick vid and post it. My poor recuperating husband understands! He's surprised I didn't hang up on the doctor, lol. Wink

View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 am

absolutely beautiful! they look like they will be attentive parents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Interesting how they give the Denison's somewhat of a pass but not the other Angels.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:11 pm

The ironic thing is that I DON'T WANT baby angels - I'm going to be selling off the ones in this tank anyway, to be replaced by clown loaches!

The eggs are still with us today and they're still working on them, chasing the other fish off even in the dark.

IME angels often take a while to get the hang of things and you don't get successful spawns for a while. However, these are half wild fish so maybe they have a better handle on how things are done!

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Good luck on the spawn. Hope Rick doing better.

Leanback
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

I have had several spawns but the eggs never survive, angels for me have been the hardest type fish for me to breed. After the holidays they will have no choice but to spawn, because i am going to throw every trick in the trade at them lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm

I have had several successful spawns, but only with a mature pair in their own spacious tank.

I could not predict what would inspire them - sometimes a giant water change, sometimes a temperature change, sometimes live food, but no rhyme or reason that I could ever tell!

Ron, Rick is holding his own. He's still on bed rest until Wednesday when he has more surgery that will hopefully speed up the healing process. At least on the recliner he has 4 tanks he can watch all day and night Laughing , right?

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Kicking back in a recliner and watching 4 aquariums. Relaxation Therapy.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 am

@Liz wrote:
The ironic thing is that I DON'T WANT baby angels!

That's funny Laughing - seems like that's how it works alotta the time!

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

@Leanback wrote:
I have had several spawns but the eggs never survive, angels for me have been the hardest type fish for me to breed. After the holidays they will have no choice but to spawn, because i am going to throw every trick in the trade at them lol.

I had that issue of not being able to raise baby angels.

Did you get the point of having fry? What are your water conditions like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 am

This morning the eggs are gone. Waahhh. I mean, Yay! Question At least now I know I have a true pair. Anybody interested? Laughing

Verbal, your question was to Tracey but my successful angel breeding (I was able to sell all the babies to Fin & Feather for cash when they had several locations and had nice, healthy fish departments) was in relatively hard, alkaline water, with a pH of 7.4. This was a domestic pair.

My wild angels never paired off because of the water conditions. I would have needed to maintain a pH of about 5 with little to no TDS and zero hardness to get them to pair off and spawn successfully.

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

@Liz wrote:
This morning the eggs are gone. Waahhh. I mean, Yay! Question At least now I know I have a true pair. Anybody interested? Laughing

I would be Liz. PM me with what your asking for them. I have been wanting to start Angels again.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angel spawn   

Back to top Go down

Angel spawn

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-