Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

75 gallon ...what fish?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Picked up a 75 gallon tank today, and I have a eheim 2217 canister free for filtration.probally go.na go with the black diamond blasting sand. No what I'm trying to figure out is what fish.

Right now I'm thinking a jack demsey 2 inches or so, what are good know tank mates? And what would you recommend as far as stocking ideas? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 am

I think you have a good chance of things working out with a GT of similar size. I would follow the usual advice of rearranging the decor when adding the new fish(after quarantine if at all possible). I would probably add during the dark period in the tank, so the fish are a little less active. Another alternative is to feed while adding the new fish. It can distract the current occupants a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Ok so i think im gonna syick with a jd and my firemouth for at least a few weeks .
I got another issue and thats decorating the tank. Heres what i have now , i know its gonna need a make over any suggestions and ideas?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Bigger pots!! The fish you are keeping will need a lot of the room you have open for swimming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Ok what about the driftwood , toss it? So basically i just want just a couple hiding caves and something to break up the line of sight correct?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 am

The driftwood is fine. It is a really nice piece of Dw. The plants will most likely get dug up by the fish though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Here is an article that has a couple of paragraphs on GTs. Scroll to the end. FYI stuff.

You already have a great piece of driftwood but a type of wood I am looking to use is manzanita wood. Scroll down for pics. I would like it in a Carpintis setup. Looks like tree roots from a northern Mexico stream and probably does a good job breaking up line of site.

Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:32 pm

yea this driftwood is nice but i dont think its what im after id like to get the roots like you mentioned, breaks up los but still leavea alot of tank space
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm

ok got my jack dempsey yesterday .roughly 4.5 inches long. i put in a couple tetras i had with the net ready to see how it would resond. firat time it went after them ,didnt attack or anything i guess it was curious Smile anyways i was thinking about going to AJ tomorrow and picking up a GReen terror on of the smaller ones they carry do u think it would be ok? this jack doesnt seem too aggresive. nothing like ive heard about anyway,pretty much keeps to itsself.

btw i took out the drifwoid ti make more swimming/ viewing space. im thinking about looking for a branch like peice of driftwood and a few rocks for caves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I would have another aquarium setup just in case you need to move one or the other due to aggression. If they are both small I would not expect much of problem at this time. Trouble, if you are going to have any, usually occurs when they get larger.

What tetras did you introduce? Dithers like Giant Danios or Buenos Aires Tetras are the best I think. Tough and fast.

Whenever you put the GT in, rearrange the wood and rock in order to disrupt any territory the JD may have established. Deceases the likelihood of conflict and gives the GT a chance to settle in.

Hope this made sense and JMHO.

Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm

so far everything is wotking out. got a green terror about the same size. when it first when in the jack and him locked lips for a sec, after that all is good been about 6hrs now and the swim around the tank togeater Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:06 pm

heres a pic of tge redecorated tank. i know entually the plants would probally be pulled up ,but i had the and wanted to use them up. i tied the plants to peices of egg create to hold them down.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russ
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 pm

the dither fish i have are black tuxedo tetras? not sure if that is the name or not ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 75 gallon ...what fish?   

Back to top Go down

75 gallon ...what fish?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-