Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Greetings from Powhatan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Greetings from Powhatan   Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Happy to find this site. My name is Lane, and I was a former die hard 6 or 7 years ago, with 6+ tanks set up primarily breeding African Cichlids. Sold everything once the kids came along...

Now I'm about to put together a 72 gallon tank and introduce my children to the hobby (Christmas present). Although there may be a better forum on this site, I thought I'd post my request here for starters:

Looking to see if anyone who has one or more established tanks can help me get mine cycled quicker. I know the kids are going to be chomping at the bit from day one, so a slow cycle process will really dampen the enthusiasm. Either some gravel or filter media with a nice bio buildup of bacteria would be awesome. Feel free to contact me if you can help (Richmond area - I'm in Powhatan).

I'll also be in the market for some Cichlids once the tank is up and cycled. I know this will be a slippery slope and I'll likely end up with more tanks down the road. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am

Hey Lane - WELCOME!

Once a die hard... always a die hard...

Awesome that you are getting back into the hobby and for some really great reason's - maybe your kids will enjoy it as much as you do.

You are right on with the slow cycle and new hobbyist - you need to get your tank cycled quickly....

Then on your next tank Smile do a "regular" cycle so your kids can learn and better understand the Nitrogen Cycle.

Hopefully someone on the forum can help you out on the media, it's defintely the way to go. I just pulled my extra filter for a new 37 gallon I'm starting (I really need to stop!).

If no one comes forward you can purchase "Active Filters" from Angels Plus - you may need a couple given the size of you tank? Here is the link: ANGELS PLUS

Another option for a quick cycle: I was at Azalea Aquariums during our last meet and Keith was showing me a NEW product for an instant cycle (forgot the name). He was really enthusiastic about it and has had excellent results.

Okay, looking forward to updates!!!

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 am

Welcome lkelly, so glad to have you join us, and hear that you are re-entering the hobby. Cudo's for getting your kids involved also. Although I was a skeptic, I recently started a 56 gallon tank. I used the API Quickstart and had excellent success. I did not trust the directions and add a fish right away, as I was still getting ammonia reading with my test kit. What I did not know was after contacting API the product does not remove ammonia, or nitrite it renders them non toxic. API said to add a fish as directions indicate and it will speed up the cycling process. I did so and within 1 week had seen ammonia and nitrite levels go to zero. They said every three to 4 days watch if ammonia or nitrite creeps up to perform approx 1/3 water change and add more Quickstart. They said the whole cycling process will be shortened by at least two weeks. I found it only took me two weeks to completely cycle the tank. I did however, take a filter pad from a well cycled tank and placed it in my canister filter to help speed up the process.
To answer your question as to used media, I am about to change out some filter pads which you are ceratinly welcome to have if you wish. I live in the Westen Henrico area and can meet you here or somewhere else if more convenient. If interested just PM me and I will give you my number.
By the way, keep the 20th of January open as we are having a General Meeting at 2:00 PM at the New York Chicken and Seafood next door to Azelia Aquarium. It would be nice to meet you and for you to meet some of our great members. Looking forward to hearing more about your previous and current success stories and experiences. Don't forget to take pics of your new tank progress and post. We love pics!
Merry Christramas and Happy New Year!
Ron

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:10 am

Welcome! I can tell you that, as a newbie here, people are very helpful- this is a great resource. Check Craigslist- this weekend, there was somebody getting rid of a lot of African Cichlids- he had all kinds for sale. If you go to Richmond Craigslist, and run a search in the For Sale section for "Cichlids" you should find it. He'd probably be glad to hear from you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Was it StartSmart Complete? TLC Products in OH just donated a bunch of it to our Raleigh club. I havent tried it yet myself, but the mfr also sells bacteria cultures for wastewater treatment, so it oughta be a decent product.

@thegundog wrote:

Another option for a quick cycle: I was at Azalea Aquariums during our last meet and Keith was showing me a NEW product for an instant cycle (forgot the name). He was really enthusiastic about it and has had excellent results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I have StartSmart Complete and used it based on Keith's recommendation. It does jump start the nitrogen cycle and will keep nitrates down as part of your maintenance routine IMHO. But call me old fashioned I'm partial to transferring seed material for the NH4 -> NO3 cycle. And nothing beat frequent W/C for NO3 reduction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:30 pm

@Donald wrote:
But call me old fashioned I'm partial to transferring seed material for the NH4 -> NO3 cycle.

+1

I'm old....... fashioned too!

Quote :
And nothing beat frequent W/C (Water Changes) for NO3 reduction

Amen to water changes!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Powhatan   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Powhatan

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum