Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Concave Belly Help Please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Concave Belly Help Please   Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Has anyone had good luck treating concave belly on their fish? I'm not sure what it is or causes this syndrome. Fish still eat but eventually die. I've found that some think it is an internal parasite condition but have not found what medicine they are using to cure and or prevent. I have not had to many issues but it just re-occured again on a couple fish. One site said they used with success MET, but I do not know what they are referring to.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Hope you can get some good direction on this issue so we can all learn from your experience.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:41 pm

I think MET must be referring to Metronidazole, which is often called Metro for short-hand. It can be dosed in foods and is for a variety of illnesses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I had a ram with a swollen belly and used API general cure which has metronidazole and a dewormer in it(praziquantel I think). It helped for that fish so it is worth a try. The metronidazole is an antibiotic but it didn't appear to affect the "good" bacteria.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Concave belly can have LOTS of different causes such as intestinal parasites (worms and/or protozoa), bacterial infections (including Mycobacterium), organ damage during collecting & transport, and of course plain old starvation. Different treatments may or may not work, depending on what the underlying issues/causes are. Metro/prazi is usually a good place to start, if you suspect it's from intestinal parasites and good feeding isn't doing the trick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks Gerald. I did not know what Metro was. Since only two of the smaller fish seem to have this, I'm suspecting stress and not eating as well as the others. Both fish (an Acei White tail and a White Socolofi) are runts compared to their siblings. Both get nipped at, yet not really hurt. There are no other signs of any other fish having issues. I would guess eating to be the possible problem. I do see them eat but not as quickly as the others.
I may go ahead and place in hospital tank and see how they respond with no competition.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concave Belly Help Please   

Back to top Go down

Concave Belly Help Please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-