Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Cycled tank staying cycled?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 am

Hi all -

A quick question....I have a 10 gallon tank that I intended to use for a acclimation, or quarantine (hospital) tank, for new fish, or when somebody needs to be removed from the 55 or the 20. I'm considering moving the 8 Bloodfin Tetras that are in there (3 weeks home from the store) and doing very well, to my 55. The AQ calculator says I have plenty of tank capacity in the 55.

Will a cycled tank stay cycled without fish in it?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 pm

I you purchase a sponge filter and run it in your established tank you can keep it cycled while you have no fish in your qt. I actually keep the qt tanks empty and run them when needed. A cycled sponge filter is all you need. Just keep it running in one of your main tanks, and remove and use it in your qt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Ok, I think I got you- my QT has an AC30 running on it, with cycled sponge media in it. There's also a light and a heater....there's some plants in the tank as well.

Can I just let it run?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Yes you can let it run but you need too feed the bacteria. You need an ammonia source to keep the cycle alive. I have used flake food, pellets, and frozen shrimp in nets or mesh bags. The nets and mesh bags are for easy clean up. Keep feeding and testing the water to make sure Nitrates are present.
Back to top Go down
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Cool- that's what I need to know! Thanks! I was thinking that an ammonia source might need to be present to keep the cycle going.

So- get a mesh bag, put some frozen shrimp in it, and put it in the tank; keeping an eye that NO3 still there. Eh?

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 pm

DL Lawrence wrote:
Cool- that's what I need to know! Thanks! I was thinking that an ammonia source might need to be present to keep the cycle going.

So- get a mesh bag, put some frozen shrimp in it, and put it in the tank; keeping an eye that NO3 still there. Eh?

Thanks for the help!
No problem.
That is what you need to do. The food will get fuzzy looking in the bags. This is normal, it is breaking down in the tank. Just remove it when it looks really bad and replace. The Beneficial bacteria needs only a few things to stay alive. Water, Oxygen, and Ammonia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cycled tank staying cycled?   

Back to top Go down

Cycled tank staying cycled?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-