Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.   Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 am

The Bamboo Shrimp.

Family: Atyidae
Scientific name: Atyopsis moluccensis
Range: Southeastern Asia
Common names: Asian filter shrimp, fan shrimp, wood shrimp, Singapore shrimp, and various combinations of these words.

photo by ddavis1979
Long antennae, compound eyes, and fan-like appendages of the arms characterize this charming shrimp.

The bamboo shrimp uses its four feathery arms to capture food from the water column. In a mature tank, there should be various micro-organisms suspended in the water which the shrimp can capture and eat. A popular supplemental feeding method is to crush a good-quality algae wafer, mix it in some tank water and squirt it near where the shrimp usually hangs out. A small pipette would be fine for this purpose. Dropping in small wafers made especially for invertebrates is reported to have good results, too.

study This is an article in progress. If you have a bamboo shrimp in your aquarium, or have had one in the past, please post about your experiences here.

A big thanks goes to CVAS member ddavis1979 for providing this excellent photo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/portal
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.   Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Thank you for your compliments.

Here are some other factoids or observations I have made.

Another common name for them are "flower shrimp"

So far there has been no witnessed aggression with community fish including tiger barbs. Sometimes the shrimp will jockey for position in the tank among themselves.

During the daylight hours they will seek out a spot in the tank that they feel has good water flow, (these shrimp need some decent currents to sift particles from), and they will stay in that spot for hours, sometimes days filtering particles from the water. During the nighttime hours, when the lights go out, they will move aorund the tank more scavenging food from the substrate and finding new positions to set up for the next day. Most of the time they choose to sit right on the filter intake for their sifting, hence the name "filter shrimp".

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.   Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 pm

I just got one from Skoolz and am looking forward to learning more about them. This guy is a pretty hefty fellow, at least 3 inches. He's in my shrimp tank until Monday when he'll move into my planted betta tank at work Monday. I think he's big enough to hold his own against Rufus!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.   

Back to top Go down

Atyopsis moluccensis - Bamboo Shrimp.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-