Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Mystery Snail Died

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:23 am

Cause of death unknown!

Came downstairs this morning and the shell of the mystery snail was completely empty. It took a while, but i found maybe 30% of a chewed up body stuck to the back of the filter.

Water quality is green this morning. Any ideas? Do mystery snails ever completely vacate their shells like that?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am

Do you have a likely suspect who might have reached into the shell and yanked the snail out? Your gourami, for example?

Also, regarding your green water conditions - do you mean you have green water, i.e., water that is green with suspended algae?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/portal
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 am

haha, I should choose my words carefully, water conditions, ammo-0/nitrite-0/nitrate-10/ph-7/temp 78degF.

The only things that ever paid any attention to the snail were the tiger barbs, and I guess they could have yanked him out, but I think he would have had to die first for that to happen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 am

I have pretty poor luck with mystery snails, and I never really know what caused their demise. I do well with ramshorns and malaysian trumpets, but mystery snails never live too long for me. I wonder if they get enough to eat, since any food I try to "target" feed them gets consumed by hungry fishes.

The smaller snails can get into crevices and survive on algae film growing on things, but maybe the mystery snails require more food. Just a speculation - I have no idea!

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am

I've heard that their getting food can be an issue. I have read that like Pleco's and some other bottom feeders that best time to feed is at night well after lights are out to give them a chance at food. Usually Algae wafers dropped in then have a better chance of being consumed by the bottom eaters as they have a little less competition then.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 pm

David, is your snail like this one?

Image borrowed from Applesnail.net for educational purposes.

That is, is the central cone of your snail raised like this one? In that case, you have an apple snail. (They come in different colors.)

This kind of snail uses a siphon, which is something like a snorkel, to breathe atmospheric air. It does this from time to time when there are low oxygen levels in the water. It needs a small air space above the water line to use its siphon.

To extend this idea out to its logical conclusion - do you think the snail tried to use its siphon, but couldn't because there was no air space?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/portal
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:33 pm

I was under the impression that apples snails and mystery snails were very different. What are the difference between the two?

I did think it odd, mine was a blue mystery snail, but when it died, the shell was very golden colored. However, the central cone was raised like the one pictured above.

In anycase, I have tons of space for the snail to syphon oxygen at the top, but it rarely went to the surface. The nerites are up there all the time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:19 pm

The blue of the snail was from the snail's body as seen through the shell.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

@ddavis1979 wrote:
I was under the impression that apples snails and mystery snails were very different. What are the difference between the two?

AFAIK, they are one and the same. Apple snails are often sold under the name of golden mystery snail, or mystery snail. The "mystery" is why. There are many different varieties of snails that can be scientifically classified as "apple snails" but, in the hobby, the most common species is the spike-top apple snail, Pomacea diffusa.* If you bought your snail at a national chain then P. diffusa is the species you most likely have.

This snail is a welcome aquarium pet because it will not eat your plants, unlike its cousin Pomacea canaliculata, which is very similar in appearance, but a bit bigger and rounder. Both have spike tops, but the diffusa has a more of a rounded-off top to the last whorl. It's a bit complicated even beyond this, but that is a good start. I kept a trio of the blue apple snail for a long while in a small planted countertop aquarium. They were a lot of fun. I deliberately kept the water line high so they would not think of laying eggs!

Quote :
In anycase, I have tons of space for the snail to syphon oxygen at the top, but it rarely went to the surface.

I just wondered. I know you have the open top but I didn't know if the snail would feel "comfortable" reaching up above the tank rim to the air, or not.

* Just FYI: The old scientific name for this snail is Pomacea bridgesi, and many still call it by this name. Very Happy

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Mystery snails and Apple snails are actually different families (see below) BUT the common "mystery" snail in the hobby (Pomacea diffusa or bridgesi) is really an apple snail. I guess the FL wholesalers probably started calling it a mystery snail because they were used to selling native Florida mystery snails (Viviparus), and this S.Amer Pomacea species looked close enough. Also maybe because the name "apple snail" had a reputation as a plant-eater. (some do, some dont).

Viviparidae = Mystery snails = N.Amer, Asia, Africa, but NOT in S.Amer.
Genera = Viviparus, Lioplax, Campeloma, Bellamya, Cipangopaludina, Neothauma, Tulotoma
Viviparidae are Livebearers, separate sexes. Have gill only, no lung, no siphon. Head tentacles only; no labial tentacles. Gills lamellae modified for filter feeding, in addition to algae grazing.

Ampullariidae = Apple snails = N.Amer, South +Central.Amer, Asia, Africa.
Genera = Ampullaria, Pomacea, Asolene, Pomella, Marisa, Lanistes, Pila, Afropomus, Saulea,
Ampullariidae are Egg-layers, in or above water, separate sexes. Have both gill and lung, long siphon (for air breathing). Long head tentacles + Short Labial tentacles. Grazers only, not filter-feeders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Mystery Snail Died   Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Thats a lot of good information!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember