Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 am

A month or so back, I posted about my fish acting strangely. It was only the black neon tetras and the tiger barbs. They were darting around the tank and nipping each other and swarming in little groups, and generally displaying erratic and hyper behavior. I was confused. I knew it wasn't business as usual, but I chalked it up to fish just being weird....it does happen.

This morning, I finally caught a glimpse of what was going on. It happened so fast, it was like a blink of an eye. The Black Neons were releasing eggs and the tiger barbs knew it and were waiting and eating. The small black neon would fly by and nip the large female neon, which would then turn her body really fast and forcefully release eggs. The tiger barbs would swarm and every egg was gone before they even started sinking.

So the neons were frenzied due to spawning, and the tiger barbs were frenzied because they knew food was coming and they are filthy pigs! haha

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 am

wow, if you didn't have the barbs, think of how many neons you'd have!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:16 am

RylandVT wrote:
wow, if you didn't have the barbs, think of how many neons you'd have!
Laughing

Seriously, it all makes sense now. Good catch and good report here by ddavis.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am

very cool

time to get a breeding tank for the black neons Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Well, you know your water quality is good now also!

Ron

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 pm

That's very cool to have seen this - it is not common to catch them in action. Very Happy

I've spawned black neons and ember tetras among a few others in various tanks, but not on purpose, and I had no idea it happened until I saw the baby fish hiding in the plants. I never saw any actual spawning. You have eagle eyes! ThumbsUp

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:17 pm

At least in my tank there is a predictable pattern, maybe you all would experience the same.

1. Day right after water change
2. In the 8am time frame before feeding
3. 60-90 seconds after I turn the light on

This is at least the 3rd time this has happened and those things are true each time. The neons and the barbs start to get frenzied in the tank and then it happens.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm

ddavis1979 wrote:
At least in my tank there is a predictable pattern, maybe you all would experience the same.

1. Day right after water change
2. In the 8am time frame before feeding
3. 60-90 seconds after I turn the light on

This is at least the 3rd time this has happened and those things are true each time. The neons and the barbs start to get frenzied in the tank and then it happens.

Mornin' Birds!!!!

That's awesome that you've identified this...

Watching, discovering and understanding the breeding patterns of different species and the effects on the overall community and environment is a whole lotta enjoyment.

GREAT STUFF!

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Better than the Discovery Channel...lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior   

Back to top Go down

I finally figured out my fish's hyper behavior

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-