Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Aquascaping the 20 Long

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

I am feeling uninspired with my new tank. Pics below for what I have so far, and something doesnt feel right. . . am I crazy? Am going for a natural looking low tech tank, and 20 Long is a surprisingly small amount of space to work in. What kind of things would you all suggest for shape and flow and design for good looking aquascaping?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm

I love your setup, but I know exactly what your'e talking about. I'll stand in front of a tank for hours, trying to figure out just exactly what is missing or what needs to be moved to make it pleasing to the eye, even though my husband insists it looks good to him. I'll move a rock or two somewhere else and voila! It looks "right" somehow.

I would personally cluster some like items together, like create a tighter grouping with the three rocks on the left, and maybe move them a little further back and towards the corner, keeping the open area in front of them, like a clearing. I might even add another like-sized rock, stacked, so the eye is drawn up, and this will make the tank look deeper, believe it or not.

I'm assuming you've got the sword in the left back corner to accommodate its future growth (it will get BIG).

I like the way the wood draws the eye from the one cluster of rocks over to the other rock. I'd add more wood if you can find some, though I definitely understand how hard it is to find just the right piece. I'd have a piece of wood that goes across the right back, but also goes up high, almost to the surface, again to fool the eye into seeing a deeper tank.

However, once the plants settle in you'll be happier with the 'scape, I'm sure, even if you do nothing.

View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I like the variety of rocks! Where did you find them? I agree with Liz-maybe try placing the left rock trio more in the back left corner and I would put the square one behind the other two. If you are looking for more plants, I have had great success with my crypt wendtii in my low tech tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Looks good to me..... I'd leave the top off and let the swords grow to the ceiling! Very Happy

ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Haha, those rocks are road side ditch granite....I am on a budget you know!

If the swords get too crazy, I will bring them home for the 55 gal and get something else here.

I am thinking about dward baby tears or dwarf Sagittaria for this tank, but I dont know how they do in sand and with a rainbow shark that loves digging stuff up.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Thats funny I was gonna say just the opposite: I like rocks in a tank to be similar in texture and color, without much variety. To my eye it's more aesthetic to have all craggy-shapes, or all blocky-shapes, or all smooth-rounded shapes, and all more-or-less the same colors, rather than a mix. Different strokes ...
But I certainly agree with you on Crypts. C.wendtii and C.affinis are easy and attractive; just be aware they might die back (melt) for a couple months when moved. It takes some time for the roots to settle in to their new tank, then they'll start growing leaves again.

RylandVT wrote:
I like the variety of rocks! Where did you find them? I agree with Liz-maybe try placing the left rock trio more in the back left corner and I would put the square one behind the other two. If you are looking for more plants, I have had great success with my crypt wendtii in my low tech tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping the 20 Long   

Back to top Go down

Aquascaping the 20 Long

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-