Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello All -

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sdm
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:10 am

Hello,
I just found this site...glad I did. I've been keeping fish for a while. I was up to 5 tanks at one time but I've just got one now. I wish I had more room. I've had community tanks, cichlids, saltwater in the past. My main interest now is Corydoras (although I don't have many now). Below are some pictures, My current tank is a 75 with the Rainbows, a couple of Kuhli Loaches, a pair of Corydoras oiapoquensis (if you know where to find more of these, I'd love to have more) and 6 or 7 Otocinclus. The other pictures are from other tanks or past fish. I thought I had more on photobucket but this is about it. I'll put some more up some time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 am

Welcome to CVAS!

You have a gorgeous tank - wow!! I'm so glad to see another planted tank like yours. Very Happy

I look forward to seeing more of your setup and getting your input on the forum. Please check out our meeting thread here:

Next CVAS Meeting 3/17/13

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am

That is one heck of a planted tank! Nice job. If you are ever thinning out your veggitation, let me know, I would be happy to take some off your hands LOL!

I am not familiar with that Corydoras....I googled it and it looked like a bandit cory or a panda cory, but the ones pictured in your tank dont look the same, so that is a mystery to me Smile Could yours be any kind of hybrid?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 am

The corys shown in the last pic are two species of pygmy corys, Corydoras habrosus and Corydoras pygmaeus. I think that is from sdm's tank that is no longer running.

Welcome, sdm! cheers I like what you're doing with planted tanks! Is the first pic your 75?

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum! I love the thick plant growth-makes your rainbows really stand out. What substrate do you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Welcome to the forum. The turquoise rainbows look great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Wow! I wish my planted tanks looked as nice- great work, there. Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sdm
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Thank you all. I just did a thinning and threw away quite a bit of stuff. I wish I'd found this site a few days earlier. Next time I'll give them away on here.

Those Corydoras pictured are the pygmies mentioned, from a tank I no longer have. I bought them at the store that used to be there were Hugenot and Robious meet in Chesterfield. I wish it was still there. Nobody around seems to have the selection they had. I don't think I have any pictures of the oiapoquensis. If I do I'll post them. I was able to get them at the PVAS catfish meeting a couple of years ago. I'd like find 8-10 more of them and then 10-12 Corydoras osteocarus. They're not any different than the common species so I don't have a good reason for wanting these. Maybe it's just that they are more rare?

That first picture is the 75. It looks some different than that picture now. Different wood and some different plant species. I still have the Anubius (sp?) and Java Fern, and small crypts. I have added I think Valensaria and a type of crypt that is tall and thin as well. The substrate is a mix of plain gravel and flourite. It looks good from a few feet away but the plants really aren't as healthy as they should be. I'd like to have some red plants, but I'm not sure I want the added work of increased light and CO2.

Thank you all again. I hope to learn from you and hopefully add something helpful on occasion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Welcome sdm. great looking tank. I am attempting my first planted tank, and I'm always jealous of seeing one like yours. Sure looking forward to hearing more about your successes and areas we should avoid. Hope you enjoy the Forum. We have a great membership who's made up of Novices, breeders, and professionals. All are willing to lend their expertice and experiences, as well as learn what has worked for you also. Keep us posted with your pics and such.
Ron

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 pm

SDM - WELCOME!

When I saw the images of your 75 I thought "beautiful high tech planted set up".... then as I read down the thread I discovered you are doing that tank without CO2!

That is a real "planted aquarium" that looks super! and....

I agree wth Flip: The turquoise rainbows are very nice....

Great to have you a part of the group and look forward to reading your posts....

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello All -    

Back to top Go down

Hello All -

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-