Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hi All!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lee
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hi All!   Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello!

I am relatively new to the hobby, and found this group on a google search. My wife gave me a basic 20 gallon tank a few years back, and although I did all the research on the web newbies do about cycling, fish species, etc. ( I even got so far as to read Diana Walstad's book), life got in the way, and I eventually drifted away from the hobby. However, I really missed it and have decided to give it another try. In learning from my mistakes, made mostly from impatience, I thought it would be a good idea to join a group like this thinking it would be a better resource to learn from people in person rather than just strangers on the internet- there just seems to be so much more to it than reading forums on sites online.

I have just begun to set up the tank again this week, and I am going to try a NPT. My goal for this tank is more about learning to be a good tank keeper rather than trying to develop a show quality tank...at least for now! Wink

I look forward to learning from you all and your experiences!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Welcome Lee!
Sure glad you found us. Happy to hear you are re-entering the hobby, and wishing you luck with the cycling process. There are some great products on the market now that enables you to add fish right away. I would suggest if your able to obtain some cycled material (filter pads, media, rocks, gravel) from someones already cycled tank it will greatly increase your success, as well as significantly speed up the entire process. If you ask around on the Forum you may be able to pick some up from one of our members.
Make sure you keep us posted on your progress, as well as send us pics of your beginning to completion. We love pics and stories.
Great bunch of people here from Novice to professional, and we all enjoy helping each other out.
Ron

Lee
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:50 pm

@Ron wrote:
Welcome Lee!
Sure glad you found us. Happy to hear you are re-entering the hobby, and wishing you luck with the cycling process. There are some great products on the market now that enables you to add fish right away. I would suggest if your able to obtain some cycled material (filter pads, media, rocks, gravel) from someones already cycled tank it will greatly increase your success, as well as significantly speed up the entire process. If you ask around on the Forum you may be able to pick some up from one of our members.
Make sure you keep us posted on your progress, as well as send us pics of your beginning to completion. We love pics and stories.
Great bunch of people here from Novice to professional, and we all enjoy helping each other out.
Ron

Thanks for the kind welcome, Ron! I may do that for the cycling process, although to be honest, I think it will take me awhile to get it set up. I have already had to tear it down once as I didn't wash the gravel very well and ended up with quite a mess, so I am taking it one step at a time. Once I get the plants established a little bit and get a feel for how the substrate affects the water quality, I will look at speeding up the cycling process if needed. I am looking to be a good fish keeper rather than a good fish killer- haha!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Lee, welcome to CVAS! cheers
I'm glad you found us and I hope we can be of help as you go about setting up your new tank. Diana Walstad's book is a real good read, but I have to admit her method is a bit too natural for me. Wink I will never forget what she had to say about allelopathy, though, and have since seen it in action. Good stuff and very technical but I managed to slog through it.

We have a few planted tank folks on here and others are joining in all the time. There is a little bit of everything on CVAS so jump in wherever you want to and say what you want to say. Our members are on and off all day usually, but use us as a resource, too, by doing site searches. Let one of the mod team know if you are having difficulty navigating the site.

Also, please make a note to attend our meeting in March at King George Tropicals.
The details are here:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t938-next-meeting-3-17-13-at-400-pm
We look forward to having you as a member!
Very Happy

Deb

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Hello Lee -

Glad you found CVAS and glad to hear you are re-entering the hobby, once it's in your blood it stays in your blood!

"Mistakes, made mostly from impatience" - this is a huge statement.. I think every successful keeper knows learns that patience is critically important to success... Your understanding of this is a great indication of your knowledge...

You will be successful this time, I am sure of that...

If you have any questions or need anything just HOLLER!!!!

Please keep us posted on your progress.....

Lee
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks Deb and gundog!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi All!   

Back to top Go down

Hi All!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1