Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Simulating sun up and sun down.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Does anyone simulate sunrise and set? I have a string of blue led Christmas lights, 3 curly cue compact florescent, and a 4 foot shop light on my 75. They each are on timers to come on in half hour increments. They go off in the reverse order. I like to watch the evening and night behavior of the fish. Kind a strange I know. Guess I need more tanks to occupy my time.

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm

I do this with my Marineland plant LED. The fish seem to know whats going on and the plecos start to either go in or come out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 pm

I would love to have LED for my tank but I am on a tight budget. If my stuff isn't 30 years old it is homemade. I am very much a low tech kinda guy, I need to update things a little.

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Great Idea Chris!

I've thought about this, but never acted on it....

What is the time spacing between each light?

I'd love to watch my fish wake up and go into night mode and it seems pretty simple which I like!

Thanks for the post...

ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 pm

My 4 foot light is off @ 8:00, 1st compact florescent off @ 8:30, next cf off @9:00, last cf off at 9:30, blue LED Christmas lights off @ 10:00. I forgot to mention earlier that I also have a solar LED path light with a light sensor on it turned upside down. That gives a soft moon like glow to the tank. There isn't enough light in the tank to truly charge it so after few weeks the light gets dimmer and dimmer kind of like the phases of the moon. Then I take the battery out charge it and the moon is full again.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:32 pm

cisco wrote:
..... I also have a solar LED path light with a light sensor on it turned upside down. That gives a soft moon like glow to the tank. There isn't enough light in the tank to truly charge it so after few weeks the light gets dimmer and dimmer kind of like the phases of the moon. Then I take the battery out charge it and the moon is full again.
This is my favorite part. This is really clever. ThumbsUp

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simulating sun up and sun down.   

Back to top Go down

Simulating sun up and sun down.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-