Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Howdy All from Shane

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cichlidshane
CVASMember

PostSubject: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 am

Howdy All,

I am Shane and I got into to cichlids in late 2012. I currently have a 125g Mbuna cichlid tank with several types of fish. It used to be a saltwater setup that I shut down back in like 2001 after my kids were born. I missed the fish so started it back up as fresh water. I also have a 20g and a 55g family/kids tanks as well with some guppies and swords etc. Cichlids really hooked me so I bought two tanks off of CL for about 85$ and will repair them soon. A 125g and a 55g. Both need a new top frame. Found frames for them for about 60$ total and should start those projects soon. Delayed due to a broken ankle on New Years Eve. I am hoping to turn the 125g into a hap/peacock tank and the 55g into a grow out tank. I have 2 batches of Fry and one more Female holding in my 10g Fry tank. The two Fry batches are from my Hongi's. Same father and two diff mothers. The holding female is a Yellow Lab. Using some plexi for dividers. I am still learning a lot and hope to share anything I have learned with anyone interested. You can check out my tanks and my fish on my website. I try to put up new videos every few weeks.

Shane
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/cichlidshane
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for sharing Shane, and welcome to CVAS! You videos and tanks are quite nice, thanks for sharing the videos as well.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 am

Great to have you join us cichlidshane. You will certainly fit right in here, as we have tons of African Cichlid fans, and SA's also. Try to keep March 17 open. We will be holding our next meeting at KGTropicals in King George which if you have not been there yet should be quite informative and fun. Hope to get a chance to meet you.
Ron

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 am

Shane - WELCOME to the Central Virginia Aquarium Society!........

and WELCOME back to the hobby! You see a lot of people step out for a short time to focus on their kids and a lot return to the hobby as their kids begin to grow.... Fish keeping has a lot to offer in terms of teaching our youth and it's plain and simple ADDICTING!

Sounds like you have some awesome set up's in place and your spawns are an indication that you are giving your fish what they need....

Hongsi are a remarkably beautiful fish - CONGRAT'S on your spawns!!!

You can not beat a Hap/Peacock set up, especially in a 125 - there is soo much color and activity in that type of arrangements. I have a 55 Hap/Peacock set up and love it.

Think about posting a thread on the top replacements illustrating how it is done, I don't think I've seen that process and I would be interested to see how it's done.

Also: hope you will consider attending our next meeting in March at KGTropicals in King George.

But again, welcome and look forward to reading your posts...

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 am

Welcome to CVAS, Shane!

It sounds like you have some great setups and I'm looking forward to seeing them, and also learning more about your projects. The process of your tank repairs will be valuable information for our site. fish

Hope to see you on 3/17!

View user profile
DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 am

Welcome! Nice videos- very cool!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome, Shane! cheers Welcome to the hobby (again!) and welcome to CVAS! Very Happy
There are many fish forums out there but here at CVAS you will find a forum devoted to the needs and interests of the aquarium hobbyist in Central Virginia and even beyond. We have an excellent DIY section and extensive reviews of many an LFS to guide you to the best in the area be it central, northern, or Tidewater Virginia. We are conversation and content oriented, with detailed posts about many aquarium issues. Photos and videos accompany many posts. Our moderation team does all they can to keep the post titles on topic so that information can be found in a site "search."

We welcome your videos and hope you will post in DIY about your tanks rebuild/repair for the benefit of all. Very Happy We look forward to having you as a member!

If you can make the March meeting at King George Tropicals, here are the details:
http://cvas.forumotion.com/t938-next-meeting-3-17-13-at-400-pm
Very Happy
btw I like your avatar!

RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:47 pm

hi! welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy All from Shane   

Back to top Go down