Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Belle Isle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Belle Isle   Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:36 am

I went down to Belle Isle yesterday, just poking around.

They had some very neat driftwood on the bank of the river. I was hoping to find some better river rocks, but the selection was nothing special.

If I can make the next meeting, I will bring some driftwood, and if anyone is interested, I can part with it for very cheap Smile

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 pm

The driftwood sounds great! Will it sink on its own? If so, I am very interested and will pay a fair price. Can you post any pics here?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:14 pm

That's great! I think Rama gets a lot of his wood this way, locally, on the river. I have some that I collected down at the Pony Pasture myself, so I know its there if you're willing to hunt for it.

I was talking to Ron and he inquired as to the safety of using wood from our local river in our tanks, and I don't have a problem with it. If you can boil it or otherwise treat it, even leave it out in the sun for a while, it ought to be fine. The pieces I've collected were too big to boil in a practical way, so I soaked them in water treated with chlorine, and then soaked them in water overdosed with dechlorinator. I also use a wire brush and scrub the wood thoroughly before soaking.

Be careful on your collecting trip, though, since I had a mishap this summer when I was down there and walking across a very large fallen tree, about 2" in diameter, but it turned out the entire thing was dry rotted and I fell right straight through it into the river below! Luckily I didn't strike anything when I landed and only sprained my wrist. Whew!

Definitely post some pics, David!

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 pm

I will take some pics soon!

the driftwood was beached when I found it, the water was too cold for searching submersed driftwood.

I could probably get it to sink if I presoaked it, but I have not done anything to it yet, other than pick up off the beach. I know two of the peices are sycamore, but I dont know the other two.

I thought one of the peices was awesome looking, but I had an imaginative moment about it, and now I am nervous. I am thinking it could have come about as a telephone pole that was in the water and that has all sorts of chemicals and tar in it....but I dont know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 pm

There are a lot of phone poles and other lumber that tumbles around in the river. Sometimes it is really hard to tell.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Here is what I have so far, but I hope to find some more local oac=k before the meeting.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi DDavis, where exactly on Belle Island did you find the driftwood? I'm thinking about heading out there tomorrow and paddling over across the Tredegar Pool on my SUP. Did you find it on the south side along the rocks, or on the north side near First Break and Grateful Dead rock?

Im hoping to find some Val Americanis, too, I think I saw you mention that in another post.

Anyone know if those little bitty trumpet shaped snails you always see in the river would be happy in a tank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:34 am

So this was 3 years ago, but I crossed the foot bridge to the southern side of the river, and there were deposits of drift wood all along on different parts of the shore. However, most of it ended up not being dense hardwood and I was never able to make it sink, so I never used it in the tank.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Ah ok. I'll (safely) check the strainer piles out on the river next time I'm paddling from
Pony to Reedy. I know there is stuff that has been out there for years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 am

I went to the Pipeline walkway yesterday as found a promising stick in a strainer pile under the catwalk on one of the pylons (several feet above water, it collects during high water). It had a good "plunk" sound like dry firewood so i brought it home and boiled it. I'll post some pictures later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Belle Isle   

Back to top Go down

Belle Isle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-